1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reporting Scotland - Renfrew council using non-qualified staff as teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MrsRucksack, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I heard of a local school that is looking for parents who are teachers, but not working at the moment, to come in on a voluntary basis to replace support staff (presumably classroom assistants).
    The whole thing is so offensive and so shocking I can't quite believe it's going ahead. I think the Council is meeting to agree this on Wednesday, so let's hope the EIS have a presence to stir things up.

2. The meeting to shove this through is on 13th January. The proposal document can be seen here http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/WebReplicas/agendar.nsf/00000000000000000000000000000000/09939C99DF7DE3D680257810004655BE/$file/Revised%20model%20for%20the%20delivery%20of%20primary%20education%20%20EPB%2013%2001%2011.pdf
    I don't understand the statement "A benefit of the enrichment programme is that the 2.5 hours NCCT which forms part of the marking and preparation time available to teachers will be at the same time for all staff in the same school with no requirement for this to be provided by additional teachers."
    Does this mean that all the classes will be having their "enrichment" at the same time? [​IMG]
    If this goes through, I'm giving up my dream of getting a teaching post in Renfrewshire - what's the point in keeping hoping?

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I think that just means that NCCT will remain at 2.5 hrs per week.

4. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

NCCT will remain at 2.5 hours per week, however the qualified teacher who covers this time for other teacher could potentially be out of a job.

Many others see this as the thin end of a very thick wedge. If this goes through I hope the teachers & parents within Renfrewshire kick up an almighty stink.

5. I don't quite understand how they think this is going to save so much money: most NCCT is covered by SMT at the moment, in my experience, and they will still need to be paid. (Apart from the ones taking VR/VER.)

6. Si N. Tiffick

7. Si N. Tiffick

Daviee- sorry I ddn't make myself clear. I absolutely agree that this is dreadful news, not least for myself, a supply teacher who often gets the scraps of NCCT to cover. My post was in response to Mrs Rucksack's question about what the paragraph she queried meant. I didn't quote her, somehow

8. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

The part time staff may well be brought in on some type of skillseekers scheme and paid next to nothing.

9. Once they advertise the "enrichment" posts, I bet all the supply teachers on Renfrewshire's list will apply! *** all else going on! [​IMG]

10. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Maybe that's the council's intention - capitalize on the employment situation to get qualified teachers on the cheap. So sad that things have come to this.
    Meanwhile, this year's probationers get jobs. This is date-ism. Surely to goodness they'll never get away with that. Isn't there some kind of European legislation supply teachers can turn to now that their own government has right royally shafted them?

11. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

12. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

More datism - West Lothian supply teachers have been told that they must reapply for a very much reduced number of places on the list. This year's probationers are guarenteed a place.
    As a place on the supply list is a prerequisite for being allowed to apply for jobs, this means that many of us are to be sacked to massage the figures for probationer employment, with little chance of ever getting back in. This is being struck off by another name.

13. yes every teacher will be out of class at the same time, and the volunteers and sessional workers will more or less take over the school for that time.

14. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Having read through Renfrewshire Councils proposal for a 'Revised Model for the Delivery of Primary Education', it's clear that they are serious about the report and are prepared to use a CfE and Building the Curriculum 3 and 4 to justify it.
    Under the proposal children will be taught for 22.5 hours by a qualified teacher, registered with GTCS, and for the remaining 2.5 hours they will work on a range of cultural, citizenship and sporting learning activities with other employees who are not teachers.
    That would be a fundamental change to Scottish education and the document implies (Para 1.1) that a CfE requires that all those involved in education provide a coherent, more flexible and enriched curriculum from 3-18. What is being proposed, if approved, will also have implications for secondaries.
    In Para 1.11 it states that the 2.5 hours NCCT will be at the same time for all staff in the same school. This would seem to imply that the 'enrichment programme' will take place on a set day each week, eg a Friday morning. In a two-stream, 14-class school it will be interesting to see how they manage to find space for all those teachers to do their marking and preparation at the same time, or how they manage to timetable classes for all those sporting activities when there is only one gym hall and it's freezing outside. How many 50 minute sessions ( or 25 minutes for P1 and 2 ) can you fit into 2.5 hours?
    Interestingly in Para 3.6 it mentions that classroom assistants will be involved in the enrichment programme through their role in supporting learning. It doesn't say if, like the other non-teaching staff, they will be taking class activitites on their own.
    Also as has been pointed out, the sample activities listed in the appendix include work that would previously have been covered by qualified teachers, eg Primary 5: Explore issues around bullying in groupwork.
    Or what about Primary 1, Session 3: Who would you like to be if you were a sports person - discuss, draw and write? What knowledge does an average P1 have of 'sports persons', how developed are their discussion and drawing abilities and just how much writing does the 'enrichment team' hope to get out of them?
    The NUT in England managed to secure a 'rarely cover' agreement and ended up with Cover Supervisors. Will the agreement on NCCT also carry a sting in the tail?

15. Story in Paisley newspaper today:

Call for Renfrewshire Council education convener to resign ahead of crucial vote on teacher plans
    http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/2011/01/11/call-for-renfrewshire-council-education-convener-to-resign-ahead-of-crucial-vote-on-teacher-plans-87085-27961537/

16. West Lothian supply teachers have been told that they must reapply for a very much reduced number of places on the list. This year's probationers are guarenteed a place.
    Does this refer to teachers in their probationary year being given jobs next year or the present guarenteed probationary year for students.

17. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

This refers to those currently in their NQT year, They are not getting jobs, but what the letter says is that those unable to get a post for 2011-12 will go on the supply list.
    Those of us already on the list have to be interviewed for a much reduced number of places, and those unsuccessful removed from the list. The problem is that guarantee for the NQTs - this is the first evidence of favouring their date for electorial reasons, as threatened in the budget.

18. Ach, but teaching's a skive though, eh folks? Any numpie aff the street could come in and dae it. I mean, how hard can it be? Just tell the weans to sit down and shut up, and open their textbooks to page 27. And then there's the holidays, finishing at 3 o'clock, the outrageously high eages- it's about time that us lot were found out as government save a wad of money by getting people who work in sports centres to come in and do a shift.
    Oor tea's oot.

19. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

As I think someone said before, this is a real disgrace. I'm going to bang the 'write to your MSP' drum again! I hope parents and teachers in Renfrewshire are already making noise about this but I think all of us should be seeking assurance that our home local authorities won't be implementing similar measures.