1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reporting on CoEL

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MissMistoffelees, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I'm in reception and our reports are quite in-depth, we have to comment on each subject including targets for Literacy ad Maths. On our format there is currently no specific box for the Characteristics of Effective Learning (we will hopefully be changing this next year) so I have been trying to make reference to these in our 'Teacher's Comments' section.

However, I'm struggling with what to say for about three summer born boys who are very much followers, they will generally only try new activities when pushed, will only stick to tasks (even self-chosen ones) if the adults stay on top of them telling them to stick with things and aren't particularly inquisitive souls. This is just how they are and they have made good progress through adult-directed activities which I have already stated but how on earth can I spin all this in a positive way??

2. You can say it more or less the way you've said it here. As long as there are positive comments, things that children "find difficult" or "has not yet started to" will not upset parents too much. It's fine to be honest.

3. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Thanks hyssop, I've just managed to write so much for other children but for these ones it's about half as much, looks a bit pathetic in our format!