1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reporting nausea

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Amylicorice, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

can anyone guide me with this please.

all my reports are written as they have been in years gone by- based on a combination of teacher assessment and testing. and despite the shift in NC for maths my class are maintains year 4 expectations- or as we call it at my school now 'sound'. However, my HT has decided that reports are based on a test and my class failed that one test.

I have other work to prove, and other tests also, that they are sound. But the HT is saying no.

I guess my question is how can I write (or in this case rewrite) a report saying a student is 'basic' year 4 instead of "sound" year 4 when I don't believe it? Just based on one day?

2. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Can you say a 'strong basic', 'basic with increasing signs of sound', 'basic but should soon achieve sound'?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Or "has all the elements of sound but was unable to show these in a test situation"

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Or, stick to your guns, be professional and let the HT rewrite them if she wants...

5. Amylicorice

Thanks carriev very helpful.

Folk fan I would usually fight but in this case it is a direction and I guess that's what I struggle with. Also I selfishly want to preserve a goo reference.

6. Amylicorice

Problem is geril4 they were 'high' in year 3!

So I just feel like - congratulations your child is now less than last year. Sigh.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Self preservation isn't selfish!

Good luck!

8. alexdoncaster

alexdoncaster New commenter

I think 'basic' is a really bad choice of word... I think your HT should relook at this. Surely 'developing' would be a much more positive phrase.

Where I come from, to call someone 'basic' is quite offensive.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Pardon my ignorance (being in secondary) but do you really assess a class together, based on one test? Surely they all get different marks. Or am I misunderstanding?

10. Amylicorice

Yes, word choice isn't great.

We gave a test to the whole year group, they all got different marks- however, my class (except a handful) failed it. As I said they have done other tests and done quite well. It's just upsetting as a teacher to write the report for them based on one test instead of a compilation of tests, especially as it has not been the case before.

11. CaptainDJ

CaptainDJ New commenter

Not the Rising Stars assessment by any chance? Not worth paper they're written on. I don't think one-off optional papers should carry more weight than teacher assessment. Especially ones published in a rush to fill an assessment hole.