1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

report writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, May 11, 2011.

1. I am an NQT who will be writing my first reports very shortly
    so my reports have to be in for proofreading for mid June
    And i got my Pendrive to put them on last week
    any tips on how i can fit into the next few weeks, as well as planning and marking, writing 29 reports?
    any tips on how I can make the process easier for myself? feel like it will be a hard few weeks!

Miss H

2. Cut and paste is your friend.
    I write a few templates and then cut and paste them across the class, then tweak anything that needs changing a little to suit the child.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do it in half term? that's what I always intend to do.

Reality is I have my annual no-sleep night the day before they have to be handed in and get them all done overnight.

4. haha glad i'm not theonly one who is on the last minute!!

i am trying to be preparedwith reports though (i hope)

5. Gamina

Gamina New commenter

Templates! One below average, one average and one above average. Type out one for boys and one for girls and then just change it to fit. I find that the topic areas stay the same for all children and then you can just tweak the math, english and the little personal comment at the end. I was killing myself as an NQT last year till my mentor gave me a file that had the previous year 1 teachers report templates in. Then I find it easy to write all your similar children together. Doing them in sections like that it doesn't seem to bad. Today I got 4 of my above average girls reports done in one PPA session as well as all my usual PPA chores.

6. Find and replace!
    find 'John', replace with 'James'!

7. I love copy and paste, find and replace etc but then I can remember hand-writing reports which took even longer, especially if you made a mistake on the last page and had to start all over again!
    I always give the children a questionnaire to fill in so at least I can be honest when I write 'John really enjoys Science lessons and his favourite topic was rocks and soils.' They also fill in which clubs and sporting events they have attended, which helps to personalise the report to each child.

8. karentee

karentee New commenter

make notes on each child for those tricky foundaiton subjects - over the next few days ask them what they think they did well in History eg and then you can reword it in a report, eg if they think they wrote a great story about the Vikings, there's your comment...Whilst leanring about the Vikings John was able to show a clear awareness of everyday life in his story of the Vikings and The Longship. And do little and often, one a night, don't leave them all until half term, the sun will be shining and you'll regret having to stay in and mindlessly find 30 different ways to say the same thing.

9. thank you for all responses
    Began writing my first report during my PPA time today
    Miss H

10. Ha! I remember the horrors of mistakes on the last page of a handwritten report too. Worse still that ours used to be written on coloured paper for some reason so couldn't even tip-ex.
    Much easier with ict but still time consuming. I love your idea of a children's questionnaire - why did I never think of that before? Thanks for the tip.

11. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I do as PFF and Gamina... Last year (NQT) I created my own bank of paragraphs for boys and girls, AA, A and BA. I used the framework, APP and NC to create them for Maths, English, Science and ICT, then I can cut and paste and replace names. I do occasionally tweak them, if I have a child who did particularly well at something or has a particular need.
    I'm anticipating it'll take about 2 hours to cut and paste all that. Then comes the time-consuming personal paragraph, which takes me forever, particularly as I can have difficulty thinking of enough good stuff to say for some of them... [​IMG]

12. Try this tool, it has an Ooops! Dectective that helps prevent mistakes!
    http://www.schoolreportwriter.com
    As
    you'd expect, it does statement bank handling and auto replace of
    name, she/he, his/hers etc but also has a good option where
    you can include drop-down lists for things like achievement levels
    and project titles and include them in statements. Results in less direct editing = fewer mistakes. It's free to sign-up and works online - no downloads. It's useful for homework and project-work assessments too!

13. cra13

cra13 New commenter

Does anybody have any statements based on the new curriculum to include in reports?

14. One tip I've learnt over time was that usually parents don't want a blow by blow account of too many details of what their child can/can't do. E.g. in Maths, I've seen reports which have details about so many different areas they've covered (Venn diagrams, equivalent fractions, rotation of 2d shapes, nets of 3d shapes, etc), which I for one would have to laboriously check about each child.

However, you know without looking a lot already about their attitude, effort, mental maths, application of knowledge to problems, awareness and understanding of key mathematical concepts, what they excel at and what holds them back. Those sort of details, plus a couple of specific targets parents could be aware of and work with children on, was all I needed in the end.

And completely agree on gender and ability-specific cutting and pasting!

15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Occasional commenter

If you have an upper KS2 class, or abler Y3/4s, you might want to ask the children to fill out a sheet with headings asking whether they can play an instrument (in or out of school), whether they've represented the school in sports (or play for a team etc out of school), as well as asking them what they feel they've achieved/need to improve upon etc.

There's nothing worse than making a bland comment about music, only to discover that they have Grade 5 clarinet and no one mentioned it.

It's also good to know if they feel they've made new friends/enjoyed assemblies etc.

16. Why don't you get some copies of reports that were written already in the school for your year group. Would copies not be in the pupil's files? You could use these examples to help you with the wording, and as others have said you can copy and paste.

i have just finished my reports and I am always looking at ways to write my reports quickly. I personally write maths and language first. Music, topic etc can be quite generic and then I like to go over everyones reports to add in comments to make it more personal.

For trickier students, I always ask other teachers to have a look and give me some advice.

17. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

I mentally rank the children from least able to most able in each subject then write 5 reports through the spread. Next I think about what they did well in each overarching topic to add a personal sentence. I find that this gives me equity across the class.