1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report Writing....Ugh!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, May 3, 2012.

1. I just wondered if anyone else had started theirs yet, and how you go about it?
    I started yesterday and have completed 3...only 23 more to go!
    I tend to write quite generic comments about what we have done as a class for all the foundation subjects, then a big speel for Lit/Maths which gets tweaked as I go along.The general comments are all individual. I then start with my higher ability boys, working my way down them ability wise and tweaking as I go along. I use the find and replace function to replace the names and because Im going down in ability order only a few tweaks need to be made each time.
    I then do the same with the girls, and have to first replace all the his with hers etc etc..This proves a problem when it changes "Teacher" to "Teachis" hehe!
    Does anyone actually write the whole thing from scratch for each child?
    Right...off to do another one!

2. I just wondered if anyone else had started theirs yet, and how you go about it?
    I started yesterday and have completed 3...only 23 more to go!
    I tend to write quite generic comments about what we have done as a class for all the foundation subjects, then a big speel for Lit/Maths which gets tweaked as I go along.The general comments are all individual. I then start with my higher ability boys, working my way down them ability wise and tweaking as I go along. I use the find and replace function to replace the names and because Im going down in ability order only a few tweaks need to be made each time.
    I then do the same with the girls, and have to first replace all the his with hers etc etc..This proves a problem when it changes "Teacher" to "Teachis" hehe!
    Does anyone actually write the whole thing from scratch for each child?
    Right...off to do another one!

3. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

I write each one and make sure I include personal details about the child....I am also a parent and HATE generic reports about my own. I want to know that somebody really 'gets' my child. I even had it once were both children had identical comments from the headteacher and I did make sure he knew how unimpressed I was on the report feedback slip!

4. My "General comments" box is completely individual. My Literacy and Maths boxes are tailored to each child to - though the statements may be similar - there's no point completely rewording a sentence for the sake of it? Things like "Child X is able to mentally add 2 digit numbers" might be changed to "Child B is able to mentally add 1 digit numbers". Completely true, just no point completely deleting and rewriting the sentence.
    I am simply not going to spend over an hour on each report, starting from scratch when a lot of what I will say in the foundation subjects boxes will be repeated in pretty much the same way anyway.
    I do make sure there are individual comments in there, for example if a child has a particular talent for art, or has found music a real struggle - I add that in. But generally those boxes just go over the things we have done that year.
    I "get" all my children but would rather spend all those hours preparing and teaching good lessons instead of wasting my time rewording sentences.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have a bank of AA, A and BA statements for Maths, English, ICT and Science. I chose the appropriate one for each child, but will always cast a glance over them and make small changes for individual children if necessary. Foundation subject box is the same for everyone and just talks about what we've covered.
    My own comment is completely individual to each child.
    The HT's comment is also individual, although as there are around 450 comments for them to write, repetition is bound to happen!
    Parents know they can come for me if they want to discuss their child in-depth with me. And nothing on the report should come as a surprise to them.
    And no, Impulce, I haven't started yet! It's going to be a squeeze this year, what with SATs and school journey just after half-term!

6. Goodness me, what an odd thing to get worked up about. If it was the class teacher I could understand it, but expecting the headteacher to 'get' every child in their school (if it is a large school) seems unreasonable to me. Surely there are only so many different comments a headteacher could write? Mine has to comment on 450 and I wouldn't expect him to write 450 different comments.
    I think it is important that reports talk about progress and the skills that have been gained, together with next steps and a personal general comment, rather than being a description of topics they have covered, because as a parent I find that pointless, as I know what they have covered. I too copy and paste some comments, but always make the general comments personal and humourous where I know it will be appreciated.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

In a large school, I wonder whether the teacher should add a post-it to some of them suggesting what the head might like to pick up on. My daughter's comment from the head said something about her progress in reading - it was actually the area in which she had made least progress during reception, as she was reading fluently on arrival, but there was no way he could have known that from the report.