1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report Writing Grammar

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Principal-Skinner, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

We're in the process of writing reports and there has been a little bit of a dispute regarding prepositions.
    Which do you think is correct and why?
    "John Smith produced work to a good standard." or "John Smtih produced work of a good standard."
    Does it depend on the circumstances and are there times either could be used?
    All feedback gratefully received, and a virtual pint for all contributors. [​IMG]

2. I am not an expert but I feel both are correct depending on how you interpret the word standard. If by standard you mean a particular standard or point that all work is judged against, then it is "to a good standard". If it is a range say from quite good to very good, and John has produced work that fits somewhere in that range, then I would say it's "of a good standard".
    Although I am not wholly convinced myself - but it's a view isn't it?

I don't like pints by the way - can I have a large glass of chilled white wine instead please?

3. Principal-Skinner

[​IMG]

Please take my offering, although I can't
    vouch for the vintage.
    If I'm to interpret what you say, working to specific standards, Learning ladders / NC levels, the first is more suitable. (I know 'good' isn't an NC level, but I hope you get my drift of thought.)

4. Just another thought (it's ok I don't want another drink) maybe it's to do with tenses?

perhaps "John Smith is producing work to a good standard" or "John Smith has produced work of a good standard"

Think I'll shut up now as it's becoming more and more obvious that I don't really know...

5. I would prefer of a good standard, but would not be offended by to a good standard (and sadly I do get offended by some grammatical howlers in reports.)
    Did you not reach consensus for a 'house' style?

6. Principal-Skinner

[​IMG]
    Part of my reason for this query; there is a difference of opinion going on. I'm not an English major (my first degree was something a whole less academic in some people's opinion) hence my opening the question on here.
    'To a good standard' has always seemed more direct and 'to' the point, whereas 'of a good standard' not standard.
    It isn't the end of the world, no hair is being torn out and no-bodies job is on the line. Consensus is such a nice place to be, though, and that is where I want to be.

7. Isn't this sort of statement rather bland? When you read 100's of reports a year and these sorts of cut and paste remarks are made it becomes testing to say the least. Not a personal attack just an observation of the report writing seen so many times. Give more information, be specific, give examples, show you know the child etc. Etc. No virtual pint coming my way I expect but I do despair at this time each year! Get a thesaurus, look at the child's work, try and recall something special about them.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why not turn it round and put, 'John's work is of a good standard.'
    However, I agree with the poster who felt it was bland. 'John is able to ---------- and --------- and demonstrates that he has a good understanding of the subject.' That might not be apropriate for what you want, but something more specific and addressing what the pupil/student can do, as well as developmental points surely has more meaning.

9. At the risk of confusing matters...
    Standards are usually low or high rather than good or bad, so it would be best to say John is able to produce work of a high standard
    Before you all shoot me down...Sorry!!

10. <font size="1">As a stickler for
    grammar I really don't think it makes much difference which you use.</font>

This, however, is unforgivable. I&rsquo;m sure parents will
    shudder far more at missing/misplaced apostrophes before they bat an eyelid
    over to/of a good standard!

11. Not sure what happened with the tiny font there!