1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

report writing comment for a child who has missed more days then attended this year

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, May 5, 2012.

1. Am really stuck as to what to write for this child. They have made very little progress this year purely down to attendance (which the parents believe has been totally justified) Has anyone had a similar report to write? I don't want it to sound negative but I can not say that this girl has made the progress that she could/should have. Thanks x

2. The child's report aslo informs subsequent teachers and any other school the child may move to. With that in mind, you are not only reporting to the parents but your colleagues. That might make the 'telling tales' situation easier.

3. Just be honest - it will not do the child or parents any favours to sugar coat the situation. I would agree with other comments on here. I have commented about parents weeping at the door as they leave their child, lateness and poor attendance on reports in the past. None of these things help the child settle and make progress and thats what its all about! Harsh I know but better to give them a wake up call earlier in their education rather than later.