1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report Writing (comment bank)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jmrobinson, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hi Hoping someone can help

Does anyone have access to a pre-written bank of comments that can be used for mathematics reports.

We would be grateful for your help so that we could spend the time preparing lessons.

Thanks

J

2. Hi Hoping someone can help

Does anyone have access to a pre-written bank of comments that can be used for mathematics reports.

We would be grateful for your help so that we could spend the time preparing lessons.

Thanks

J

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The worst reports I ever wrote were in a school where we had to use a comment bank. I'm not convinced they took much less time, and I didn't get to say what I really wanted to. (It was theoretically possible to add your own text at the end, but doing this seemed very complicated, and the ordering of the sentences then made no logical sense.)
    I have come across some teachers for whom a comment bank would probably improve their reports, so maybe they're not entirely a bad thing. Plenty of us will cut and paste some stock phrases, so a statement bank which is just there as a starter probably helps most people.

4. Go to www.rayslearning.com I'm not a fan of comment banks for reports as it removes the individual touch but we have been gradually forced along that route by those who know better (think they know better). Teacher's Report Assistant works well, is free, and there is a good selection of ready made comment banks, including Maths specific ones.

5. Thats really useful thanks, have you tried www.rapid-report.co.uk, I found a piece of free software which writes student reports, it automatically inserts their names and grades from a spreadsheet and comes with free subject comment banks which you can keep on record.

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

maro131 that last post was in January 2010.
    The Rapid-Report site is still there - the comments seem to be free if you have the program - though there is a free trial available. I have no idea what this program is like - perhaps other posters do.
    I still like the free Teachers' Report Assistant program.As I said in an earlier post I have created various files using this program. It is then easy to copy and paste into any report program your school may have. (Seems to work fine with Windows 7 too).

7. Hi can u please send me those links for making a numeracy report.

Thank you so much
    Navi

8. rich_m

rich_m New commenter

I have to agree with other posters here, comment banks are not the way forward in my opinion. A report should be: personal, useful for parents and constructive (however critical). If you know the students you teach, this should not be a problem and I object to some of my colleagues approaches to reports because of this (during internal moderation).

You have to ask yourself, what would you as a parent want to read? And what impression does it give of you as a teacher?

Would you want a few pre-written sentences matched to your child or a report that shows their teacher knows them? If you know your students and their data, a report should be easy and fairly quick to write.

Even if it takes a while longer, I would always take the time to complete reports.