1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report wording

Discussion in 'Primary' started by QT1, Jul 2, 2020.

1. QT1

QT1 New commenter

Hi everyone. I am in the dreaded report writing wormhole! I have a child in my class who is consistently absent (76% attendance) and never has anything she needs for school, doesn’t read at home etc. She is quiet and lacks confidence and proficiency in most areas. I’m hoping someone can give me some advice on a way to spin this positively in her report, I don’t want to go in completely negative as the last thing her confidence needs is a knock.

Hope you can help!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A quick thought
    you might say that 'an increased attendance record could benefit her progress enormously' (and I would suggest you have some 'chat' with the parents as to how the school could help facilitate this. Emphasize partnership between school and home. I remember one of those school programmes ably demonstrated how having a discussion and follow-up can vastly improve a child's willingness to attend school.

ACOYEAR8 and QT1 like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How old is she?
    To be honest in a primary school most of what you say she doesn't do is down to parents, not the child. Just don't mention it on the report, which is about the child.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

" Francine's full potential could be realised by an increased attendance and being equipped properly for the school day. If Francine is to avoid being overtaken by other children in her progress, it's vital she has the same advantages that they do"

I pulled too many punches in my time, as I approach retirement, I feel like I should spell it out ! I'm now no longer the same age as the parents but older.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.