1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report statements

Discussion in 'Music' started by sydney3, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hi all,

My school has just decided to change from report writing to statement banks. Just wondered if anyone had a list of statements they wouldn't mind sharing as I've looked at resources and there aren't any for music, Not sure I have the motivation to sit and write them as would prefer to be planning units of work we need!!! If anyone is happy to share I would be really grateful :)

2. A few of my favourite statements/targets are:
    Aim for greater fluency when playing the keyboard.
    Learn how to find the notes on the keyboard.
    Listen to the overall effect of your music when composing in a group.
    Listen to others when performing in a group so that you stay in time.
    Use musical vocabulary when discussing music.
    Think carefully about how you use the elements of music when composing.
    Use dynamics when performing music.
    Play slower and more accurately rather than rushing your performance.

3. I've always found that however caarefully I plan the statement bank I always end up needing another statement for that special pupil. I strongly advise that you write your own statements because, to be quite honest, a report written by a statement bank is no report at all. No matter how mnay shades of statement you have they are always generic and are never ever actually about the child at all. It so contrary to the Every Child Matters agenda I am surprised we are still able to use them.
    I am fortunate in that our system allows you to add statements and save them to the bank at any time. Which is usefull. It also alows free text if necessary, which is also great.
    That said . . .
    You will need bands of statements. I have four . . . an introductory overall comment:
    "Peter has made an excellent effort in music this year and has achieved an overall level of".
    "Peter has not put his whole effort into his work . . .
    "Peter has been hindered in his progress by being easily distracted . . "
    "Peter is a little . . . "
    You get the picture.
    Then I have a statement about performing skill, one about composing, one optional one about how he/she work in a group and finally a target.
    I grade my statements in my head by thinking what I would say about the most praise-worthy and talented student down in shades of increasing annoyance to the obstinate fool who can't even stay in his seat. With a couple of bands for students who genuinely, for one reason or another, find things difficult.
    It does not take long when you get going and it will at least bein language that is true to you.
    Finally, I find that there are students where no combination of statements in the whole world is ever going to do them justice - normally at the very top and bottom of the ability/behaviour spectrum. I write these free hand and normally take some time over them.
    Have fun!