1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Report scam e-mails and phone calls?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Jul 4, 2016.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just tried to report a scam phone call - " Windows technical dept. here. There is something wrong with your computer."

Went to ICO (Information commissioner's office) web site - https://ico.org.uk/ -- and filled in the caller phone number etc. but then it told me to go to the Action Fraud -- http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ -- . However, Action fraud did not want any details of the scam caller but just seemed to be building up statistics of numbers of such calls.

In the past I have gone to one of the "who called me?" web sites and put the number in. Very useful if you don't answer but want to check if it was a scam or not.

These scams are so blatant that I'm sure all the forum members here can ignore them, but somebody must be falling prey or they wouldn't keep doing it. The vulnerable need to be protected.

Does anybody here have knowledge of some form of outcome from reporting scam calls and e-mails or is nothing really being done and the authorities web sites are just smoke and mirrors?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They add the addresses and numbers to the spam filters.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

OH had 3 calls one day last week to tell him, 'There is a problem with your computer.'

All 3 times he said, 'No there isn't!' and put the phone down. They've not called since!!

I know we should report it but I think that, like most of us, if the calls stop, we just move on.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My sister is one of those taken in by the Windows scam - so yes some do fall prey to them.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think they are just overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, also the infrastructure for these means there are probably just a few identifiable big players so no real need to dot every I and cross every t.

We had a load a few months back from an oven cleaning company so I did what you did. There were a few current high volume scams (not even actual scams, the oven cleaning was legitimate, just involved in annoying spamming) listed and I picked that one on the list.

I'm not sure if it was related but the calls stopped a short time later.

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So did my 93 year old mother - several times, even though she doesn't have a computer and would have no idea how to even turn one on. Eventually we installed a TrueCall phone blocker on her line which stopped it.

The authorities don't really have anything they can do other than compile statistics, which is pretty much all that Action Fraud does. It has no resources of its own to investigate even if you give them the scam caller's number. They can pass it to police but rarely do this. In any case if you get a scam call but don't fall for it police would say no crime has taken place so there's nothing to investigate. Even adding the number that appeared on your caller ID to their database of blocked numbers is problematic as nowadays most of these scammers are calling from overseas but spoofing genuine UK phone numbers.

I had one just this morning. I let them go on for a bit and asked them how they knew it was my computer that 'had a problem"? After a bit more rubbish from them I said that's amazing as I don't own a computer. She hung up so quickly she forgot to be abusive to me.

It's best to resist the temptation to argue with them or tell you what you think of them though as it just provokes them to make repeated silent calls to your phone for the next few days. I just hangup usually.

And as someone else has said, they're not all scams or fraud, I get more calls that are just timewasting spam.