1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing recipe items with...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by coupedeville, Aug 27, 2020.

1. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Hi all,
    I saw Tom Kerridge make some smashing low cal muffins on his Lose Weight programme but he uses Sesame oil which makes me gag.
    Does anybody have any ideas for a nut free replacement? DD doesn't like nuts.
    Awkward, aren't we...:)
    Thanks in advance.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sesame oil is usually only used sparingly for flavour, so I'd just substitute for any oil you fancy. Olive oil would be fine or you could just use a flavourless oil, like sunflower oil.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Can you post the recipe or a link to it, please?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sesame seeds are not nuts.
    Just replace with sunflower oil. Won't taste quite the same as toasted sesame oil is delicious, but I'm sure they will be lovely.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Agree with Belle, obviously you're not going to get the same flavour as you have using the toasted sesame oil, but that will work OK.

7. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Thanks for the responses guys, thanks also to Belle for posting the recipe. :)I substituted the sesame oil for sunflower and the muffins were delicious.
    I know Sesame seeds are not nuts, just mentioned the nuts in case anybody suggested a nut oil as a substitute.
    I once slavishly followed a recipe which called for sesame oil and was almost sick due to the smell.
    For what it's worth I didn't use the five spice either, I just doubled up on the all spice.