1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing nursery teacher with TA? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Mar 5, 2011.

1. We have a 0.5 teacher in the nursery who job shares with a TA Level 4. For next September I would like the TA to be the full-time 'teacher' and remove the teacher. The TA is actually more competent. As some would say 'there has to be a teacher' the school would pay for a part-time teacher training course whilst she is the nursery 'teacher'. For me everyone's a winner
    Children and parents get best member of staff, she gets increased pay and responsibility plus 100% funding for course, the school saves money in these difficult times,
    What do you think?

2. We have a 0.5 teacher in the nursery who job shares with a TA Level 4. For next September I would like the TA to be the full-time 'teacher' and remove the teacher. The TA is actually more competent. As some would say 'there has to be a teacher' the school would pay for a part-time teacher training course whilst she is the nursery 'teacher'. For me everyone's a winner
    Children and parents get best member of staff, she gets increased pay and responsibility plus 100% funding for course, the school saves money in these difficult times,
    What do you think?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

hello Soapy [​IMG]

4. I think you need to look at the statutory requirements.

5. yes but a lot of schools blur these with regards to nurseries

6. At their peril do they ignore them. I don't know of any who do, and at my school another nursery teacher has just been appointed to replace a TA in 39 place nursery because management believe OFSTED would criticise the minimalist approach, so now we have 2 full time teachers and 1 TA.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh shove off, soapy.

8. Msz

No they don't but you are meeting the statutory requirements (as you know) by employing a member of staff on an employment based teacher training course [​IMG] unless I read your OP wrongly???

9. OFSTED been and gone not back for 3 years. No longer going to buy into the LA advisory package so that's them off my back as well.

10. I'm unsure about the present state of affairs. If the teacher is 0.5, who is with the children the rest of the time? How many children are there?

11. sorry msz who was the 'no they dont..' bit directed at?
    Are you liking the new me?

12. There is also another TA full time in the 26 place nursery

13. So the HLTA acts up to teacher status for half the week?

14. Msz

The no they don't was in response to your comment about other schools blurring ...

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

What kind of route are you considering for this TA?
    I ask beacuse i worked ffor many eyars in a school that employed GTPs as the class teacher, which I then mentored. It was cost cutting in one way, because they were paid at unqualified rate. In factin my final year in that school I was the only qualified teacher in the FS (2 reception and1 nursery class), the others were training!
    So it can be done.
    But.
    The head seriously underestimated the amount of time out they would need for training atending college etc; and of course they had an entitlement to an extra 10 % non contact time too. None of them really were able to reflect on their training beacuse they had ful class responsibilities too..it was a nonsense.
    Then of course they have to do a placement at another school, which then means supply for 6 weeks at some point, disrupting the class.
    The bottom line was it was done as cost cutting but not with thought to the children and their experiences. The head finally agreed I was right when we had a bad inspection, by which time I was resigning anyway

If you are seriouis about this, then you need to discuss with the relevant DRB

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

oops oh for an edit button,

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How much do you earn Braingym?
    They could remove you and save loads of money. Just have a democracy in the staffroom and well, maybe that competent TA could be the school co ordinator - with perhaps an correspondence course in educational management. Or let the caretaker lead the school. Whatever.

18. I know this sort of thing can effect nursery teachers' egos but the TA is very good

19. Msz

and don't forget your mentor training and time out [​IMG]