1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing National Curriculum Levels - what will your school do?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by cefnbran, Nov 23, 2013.

1. I dislike the idea of using GCSE targets this early. As moscowbore asks, which data is used to generate these targets? If it is from KS2 mean data then, for many of the reasons stated above, this can be inadequate in formulating targets that are appropriate, not least for creative/practical subjects.

There is also a student-centred, perhaps moral, question, about whether students would be fedback their attainment. If so, the pressure on students in KS3 would be tremendous, and the reporting of attainment could be damaging- can you imagine being told you "achieved" a U in Year 7? Furthermore, weaker students who may be targeted an E at GCSE would be constantly achieving U,G,F grades in KS3- very demoralising!

But there is a wider problem with this method- we know only a few key bits of detail about the new grading criteria to be able to extrapolate GCSE tragets effectively at this stage (the anchor points at 7, 4 and U). Does anyone know what a 3 or 8 will look like?

Our school has tried to embed the idea of progression to GCSE in our new assessment system, so we can evidence progress, but, most important, design something which enables our students to develop into holistic students.

Take a look at our blog: ansfordassessment.wordpress.com

2. By the way, I think the idea of comparing students attainment to some kind of standard (we are calling it a Threshold in our school), is good as it means we are able to assess where they are. However, I am less convinced with the idea of reporting this to students and parents. This can have a negative impact and could foster labelling, one of the worst problems of levels.

However, I do agree with reporting progress. I think marking students' work, comparing to a standard to make a judgement on attainment, and then explaining to the student whether they have achieved a grade/level/mark suitable for them as individuals is a good model to work towards. However, marks, levels, attainment grades can sometimes make us forget that the most important part of feedback is, surprisingly, the feedback.