1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing ceramic bowls - any advice

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by janharper, May 28, 2011.

1. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

Stainless steel. They bounce too! We keep the clear pyrex bowls for demonstrations.

2. We use plastic large & small bowls - had glass when 1st started but had a least one breakage a month. Have a set of glass bowls for merringue work only, and teacher dems. Use "Rapid" suppliers. Much lighter for the kids to handle,

3. I have stainless steel bowls they are much more cost effective as glass ones get broken, the plastic ones need replacing as they get scratched, stained and get smelly. I also keep some glass ones just for my demonstrations and a stack of plastic ones for use in the microwaves. Happy days. Pupils like the stainless steel ones as they look professional!

4. In fact I tend not to have any china or glassware as if it breaks the kids may get a bad cut. Metal and plastic are much safer and also less heavy.

5. I can’t recommend stainless steel bowl highly enough! Plastic ones discolour and get scratched inside which you don’t want for whisking egg whites. Pupils also somehow manage to melt plastic bowls! We bought our stainless steel bowls from Wilkinson’s (for a very reasonable price)about 5 years ago and have never had a problem with them.