1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement A-level grades 'no lower than mock exams'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by 99sobi, Aug 11, 2020.

1. 99sobi

99sobi New commenter

Announced in the last hour.

A-level students in England are now being promised their final results will not be lower than their mock exams.

The Department for Education is announcing a "triple lock" - so results will be the highest out of their estimated grades, their mocks and a back-up written exam in the autumn.

It follows Scotland's decision to switch to teachers' predicted grades.

England's Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said this would be a "safety net" for students.

2. brush75

brush75 New commenter

So we'll downgrade your teacher assessed marks, but don't worry, you can use this other mark which will probably also be less than what you would have got anyway!

You can tell Williamson's previous experience of the real world is in selling fireplaces, can't you.

3. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Just use the centre assessed grades, for crying out loud.

ATfan likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

ATfan, briancant, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Didn't you read the OP?

It means pupils getting A-level results this week can have whichever is highest from their estimated grades, their mocks and written exams in the autumn.

Nothing there about downgrading teacher assessed marks. These will stand unless either the mock grade or the autumn exam grade are higher.

6. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

They are referring to mock results, not the teacher assessments, which could have been taken as far back as December in some schools or as recently as March in others - that once again I fear will only serve to make the discrepancies greater - oh yes and he said only where they were done in exam conditions - once again very different between schools. Kids on chat rooms are already admitting to Googling answers to mock papers in advance........teacher assessments are being ignored - why did we bother

7. 99sobi

99sobi New commenter

Update from BBC journalist:

MORE from DfE: "Students could accept their calculated grade, appeal to receive a valid mock results, or sit autumn exams.

Ofqual has been asked to determine how and when valid mock results can be used to calculate grades."

In other words, detail to be determined. By Ofqual...

"Students who would like to use a valid mock result will be able to do so through the appeals process, with individuals notifying their school or college who will provide evidence of their mock results to their exam board."

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I stand corrected.

My apologies. And to @brush75 .

install and Maths_Shed like this.
  9. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

To be fair it would have been a pretty punchy decision from a school to award a lower grade than a student’s mock, so I can’t imagine it will affect many grades, and for those it does effect, if there were an appeals process, surely a huge part of that would have been to say what the student got in there mocks anyway. We actually scale mock mark to be roughly in line with school historic data anyway

10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

More cluelessness!

In my many years experience the pupils mostly got one grade higher in the real exam than the mocks. So this is the Tories trying to make out they’ve done something when they haven’t.

Or is he saying that he doesn’t trust the teachers?

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

As @bugsysmum says there is very widespread cheating in mock exams as many schools just use past papers and sometimes even tell the pupils which exam they are using.

Maybe they should add that if you're not happy with any of those grades, just make a substantial donation to the Tory party and you can have whatever grade you want.

bugsysmum and steely1 like this.
  12. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

This - there's no standard procedure for mocks. Some are taken directly after Christmas when some kids have seen revision/study cut owing to family events or travel or whatever. Some are done after lots of teacher led revision. Some teachers use them to scare students into working harder, some to encourage them.

I think with the original idea, a 'moderated' teacher prediction, universities would have been able to use their own judgement and to take into consideration the student's original application and references. Now, if the government is saying anything goes, how will that affect university offers? Do they 'over offer' on conditionals knowing that some won't make it or do they offer only a fixed number of places and fill up from clearing?

agathamorse, strawbs and bugsysmum like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Also which mocks do they use? Most schools around here do GCSE mocks in December. When it began to seem likely that schools would close, many schools did another set of mocks in early March. For A level they often do exams in September, so they can be used in making predictions for UCAS, but then may do more mocks later in the year. Will they just pick which ever exam the student did best in?

agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As several posters have implied, it's a considerable mess. There was possibly a hasty decision about what schools needed to submit, combined with secrecy, followed by openness about the process to determine the results all alongside no requirement for any evidence.
    I'm still struggling to think of a better way other than a command to submit mocks.

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  15. mostlymaths

mostlymaths New commenter

But I guess if the algorithm then reduces the CAG grade the student could ask for a mock grade to be used instead.

internationalschools likes this.
  16. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

Mocks are not accurately marked.

Nor are they moderated.

Mocks in my school hit at such a busy time that they are marked at about 100 miles and hour, quite often erring on the side of leniency.

agathamorse, strawbs and phlogiston like this.
  17. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

And bearing in mind the Scots have now been given their teacher assessed grades will that not give them an unfair advantage over the rest of the UK for university admissions?

18. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

You're absolutely right.

agathamorse and bugsysmum like this.
  19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

That's true. The pupils I tutor often ask me to go through their mock exams with them and I frequently find wrong answers marked as correct and occasionally the opposite. There has been some discussion on the lunchtime news about whether the actual mock papers would have to be submitted to the exam board, but some schools return the papers to the pupils, so that wouldn't be possible.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'm pretty certain all those I worked in did - we wanted the students to see where they went wrong, where they did well etc.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.