1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement A Level Courses

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mprcomp, Jun 16, 2011.

1. We are currently following OCR GCE Applied ICT but we know that in a few years time that this course will finish. We have been told that something similar might be offered but at present no speciman specifications have been shown.

What are the alternatives? Could anyone comment on the below qualifications that currently teach them? Positives and Negatives for these would be good.

BTEC ICT Practitioners Level 3 (Single and Double)
    OCR National Level 3(Single and Double)
    A Level ICT
    A Level Computing(I think this course only has outside chance because of learners we get are often lower ability)

Thanks

Mprcomp

2. I believe all the A Level ICT courses are being renewed simultaneously (certainly the Applied, at any rate) - in much the same way as the GCSEs have just been done. So I would hang on a little while longer yet and see what comes out of the woodwork.

3. We changed from Exexcel Applied A level to BTEC Level 3 IT this year.
    Pros:
    Students learn a lot of useful stuff.
    Assessment criteria are crystal clear, compared with A levels
    Generally students achieve grades are higher than for the A level.
    You can write your own assignments and make them educational, interesting and relevant to your students.
    You don't have to interact with the sort of perverse, random amd inconsistent moderation that you get with <strike>most</strike> some A level coursework
    Cons:
    You have to put in place a lot of internal quality assurance procedures that entail quite a lot of paperwork
    Some students/parents perceive BTECs as inferior to A levels so you will lose some candidates because of this.

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Does it have to be printed? Can it be done online?

5. Yes - sorry - it doesn't have to be printed/paper based - I should have said "there is a lot of form filling and documentation to be done for the internal quality assurance" - all the forms can be kept online.