1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Repetitive Stain Injury

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mathsteach1, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I have a persistent aching in my left forearm. It hurts picking things up and reaching high up, into cupboards for example. The only information I can find on this is that it could be RSI. This astonishes me as I do not spend hours on a computer - I did work in the computer industry but this was over 10 years ago.
    I can not think of anything teaching related that could cause it. The only repetitive thing I do is board work and that is with my right hand (I am right handed). I do use a computer but not persistently, maybe 1 hour a day.
    Has anyone any ideas on what could be causing this?
    Who should I see to get advice? a doctor?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. I have a persistent aching in my left forearm. It hurts picking things up and reaching high up, into cupboards for example. The only information I can find on this is that it could be RSI. This astonishes me as I do not spend hours on a computer - I did work in the computer industry but this was over 10 years ago.
    I can not think of anything teaching related that could cause it. The only repetitive thing I do is board work and that is with my right hand (I am right handed). I do use a computer but not persistently, maybe 1 hour a day.
    Has anyone any ideas on what could be causing this?
    Who should I see to get advice? a doctor?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

See your doctor. It could be RSI but there seem to be quite a few different tendons and bits which can go wrong in an arm. I have RSI from teaching ICT at primary school (bad mouse posture when reaching over children) and it never actually goes away fully. It is strange if you don't actually have anything coming to mind as a cause. You could try dsoem ibuprofen gel or tablets to see if it reduces any inflammation.

4. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

PlymouthMaid is right, your doctor can run all manner of tests/checks to determine where and what the likely cause is - sometimes Google is your friend, but not I fear when it comes to self diagnosis.

5. glucosamine with chondritin (sp?) may be useful if it turns out to be RSI - I found it worked within a week + now really notice if I miss a couple of doses.