1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Repercussions of capability procedings

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gepocock, Sep 30, 2017.

1. gepocock

gepocock New commenter

After going on a teacher support programme for a year, where it was decided I made progress, I have now been told that I have not maintained progress. As we went into special measures there was book scrutiny after scrutiny. New initiative after new initiative, New acronym after new acronym.
    I hit a wall the day after, and just could not go into work. I can't stop crying, I walk the room at night, and I can't think of anything else. And yes - I have felt suicidal. I won't do it because I love my family and it wouldn't be fair to them to have to pick up the pieces. My entire self-worth is tied up with 'being a teacher' and if they take that away, I'll be be a non-person. And it's no point people telling me that I am talented and have a family who love me....!
    And yet, I still think that I am a good teacher. I work hard and my lessons seem to go well. I only work 50% because I am old at 60. I won't get much of a pension, I have only been in one school for eight years, prior to that I was a supply teacher. I was a damn good supply teacher and always had work. I do struggle with paper work, and yes, I get nervous and find all the things they expect you fit into one lesson obs is just impossible - hook for learning, differentiated learning objectives, various 'pit-stops', plenary. Most of that I do anyway, but it does make yowu feel like a performing seal.
    So what happens now? What can I expect? Is this support - or have they already decided and are just going through the procedures to get rid of me. Can I then go on supply or will my record be so stained I will be unemployable? I'm applying to Tesco, Asda etc. but even they won't want me. No one will.

Attached Files:

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Contact
    Your GP
    your union
    Education support
    https://www.educationsupportpartnership.org.uk/helping-you/telephone-support-counselling
    and the Samaritans

You need to help to get to the state where you feel well enough to address these issues.better. Whilst people on here( (with experience of what you are going through) will give support etc, the organisations/ people above can give you targeted support with better knowledge of relevant details.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I have not opened the attached file you have posted. Be careful it does not help identify you. If it does you need to get it and possibly this thread removed. You can do this by reporting it yourself and asking for this.

Teachers in the past have reported being in similar situations to yourself and come out at the other end. Get your union involved if you can to negotiate an exit. You should still be able to do Supply. See your GP and put your self first.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You haven't done anything wrong, so no, your record won't be 'stained' in any way. Many schools are desperate for teachers - any teachers. You are a GOOD teacher; you will get another job, perhaps long-term supply.

As for store jobs - many are positive about employing older staff (B&Q?).

You're not thinking straight at the moment, because you are ill and in shock. Hang on in there and keep posting here as much as you need.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi there,

Firstly, please see your doctor to request counselling and a certificate as you require MORE time to recover.

Secondly- you need to have your school or MAT own guidance as the dfe has the process over 20 weeks but your employer might a procedure over fewer weeks.

Many posters are concerned for you and have replied to your previous two threads.

I'd just like to add...

You are loved by your family, they need you to be well. Teaching can be a wonderful job.

Unfortunately, some senior leaders in some schools wield their authority, brutally disregarding the health or welfare of colleagues.

The waves of anxiety, the churning emotion, the deep distress you are experiencing is NOT last forever.

At my worst, last year, I could hardly leave the flat. Even brushing my teeth, showering and getting dressed took hours as I couldn't focus on the present because I was in mental and emotional turmoil.

It is possible to recover a sense of yourself and self worth, but it will take time. You cannot rush it. Please, please, go back to your doctor if you continue with negative thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  6. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Make sure your union are involved every step of the way. Particularly as as older person in teacher, likely to be on UPS3, you are expensive. That might have impacted on their view of you as not being successful and it may have nothing to do with the quality of your teaching at all.

I went, literally overnight, from being an 'outstanding' teacher to 'RI' or below in a school when I refused to bow to SLT wishes to breach coursework rules.

Think about it - you've been found to be less successful recently - what has changed? Was it your teaching? Doubtful.

If nothing in your teaching has changed then other forces may be at work.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What happens next is you speak to your union and they negotiate an exit strategy for you before the capability starts. They also negotiate an agreed reference, meaning you can get yourself a new teaching post, should you want one.

I did this a few years ago, with enough of a pay off to give me a term of not working to get my head round the horror and hurt of it all. My friend from the same school (and the same age as you) did the same half a term later.

It seems absolutely the end of the world right now, but it doesn't have to be. Speak to your union in great detail and let them handle everything for you. If you aren't a member, then appoint an employment solicitor as soon as possible. (Your LA might well pay the legal costs as well.)

Good luck, it is a truly terrible and hurtful experience, but I promise it gets better. (In the meantime, some sleeping tablets and antidepressants can help you get through to the other side, if you and your doctor agree they are right for you.)

Rivermill and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The way you describe feeling was me a couple of years ago. They undermined me and took away my self-esteem, I had been a 'good' teacher for 30 years and suddenly I was 'inadequate'! If they do an observation and deem your work unsatisfactory it is very difficult to prove otherwise once they have destroyed your self respect and made you ill.

I was able to retire but there were others in my school and elsewhere who were able to go on to other teaching jobs. Take the time off that you need, be good to yourself and when you are ready get away from this toxic environment - there are better places. Others have suggested fighting back but I know how difficult this is when you gave been brought so low.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

OP needn't worry on that score, it's only a DFE guidance document, it doesn't identify anyone. (It's not current guidance either but I don't think that has any relevance to what OP should do now).

Rivermill, slingshotsally and Yoda- like this.
  10. drek

drek Lead commenter

This is one school out of hundreds. One greedy team of people out of hundreds wanting to look after each other's and their own jobs and pockets...........
    It has happened to many......many who have come out of this feeling stronger, got other jobs, worked in other schools.....you aren't alone....

Go to the GP
    Sign yourself off
    Tell your union.....

Whatever your age, you deserve to have some control over how you feel as an adult, and to do that you really need to leave the place you are working in. They aren't going to change. Get your union to negotiate your way out. If you don't belong to one....resign.....honestly your health both mental and physical is not worth it.....
    Remember the dfe and OFSTEd have trained and convinced these sort of leaders that they are doing this to improve educational standards.......on which planet or plane of reality god only knows.........but they will be like a dog with a bone until the next policy and the next policy and the next policy.......

The management team at one school - under orders from the CEO of the trust that ran their school - went through experienced teachers with the finesse of a pile driver.
    On paper of course their folders on each teacher was worthy of cold case documentation in case it needed to stand up in a court of law.
    Luckily for them the unions won't even try to file a group litigation for those affected and afflicted by incorrect use of OFSTED guidance to get rid of teachers misusing performance management policies, for the sole purpose of budget balancing their books.........
    If they set a lawyer on the trail of the CEOs they could uncover some pretty damning things I'd wager.......

Don't turn their unjust actions inwards on yourself....... if you can take what they dish out with a smile on your face and turn the other cheek every single time....then and only then would it be worth staying on in such a place......

So the question the union will ask of you is whether that is what you want......they will say they can't advise you....you have to make the choice

I made the wrong choice.....I've come out on the other side intact and whole somehow....but I would not do it again nor recommend anyone else to take such institutions on.....The people that run them aren't worth much more than the pieces of paper they type meaningless policies on.

Wish you all the best whatever choice you make but keep control by being the one to make the choice.....

slingshotsally and Rivermill like this.
  11. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

Your user name says it all, OP, and I can't bring myself to type it out. You are neither old, nor a hag. I did wonder if you were being tongue-in-cheek, but the nature of your posts convinces me otherwise. It is clear, for whatever reason, that SLT want you out. They are probably one of these schools who place a higher value on youthful vigour than maturity, stability and experience. Their loss.

So I will repeat the advice of many others on this and your other thread.
    Your primary concern now is to look after yourself.
    Go to the doctor - get signed off. You need this.
    Take the time to heal and do things that make you happy in life.
    Don't fret about school (much easier said than done, I know)
    Communicate via your union.

I really don't see how it would be worth it - frankly, they don't deserve you.

Consider your options. Supply? Home tutoring? Forest School? Museum?

Get better and good luck. You are worth so much more than these nasty people who are making you feel so unwell.