1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Repeating a year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by d43587, May 23, 2018.

1. d43587

d43587 New commenter

If a parent wanted their child to repeat a year (in this case year 2) what are the implications for this?
    Would the child need to play catch up and skip a year at some point to catch up with their peers?
    Thank you

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I once taught a boy in Y9 who had been kept back a year - I'm not sure at what age. He was in a class of hoodlums but they were all members of a football club outside of school and all good players. In inter-school competitions he was excluded from that team because he was too old to play with this same group of boys and didn't want to play with the others, I think because he didn't know them, they weren't his school friends.

Academically he didn't seem to have gained anything by being kept behind and had lost out on taking part in the one school activity he might have done well at. I felt really sad about that.

Just bear in mind that a child who misses will end up, like this poor boy, a bit out of synch with the classmates later on. This might not matter at all, but it might matter in ways you don't imagine now.

d43587 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would say no to parents.

The child will work out that they were kept back because 'they weren't good enough' no matter what the reason.
    They have to start again with a group who all know he hasn't moved up like he should. He sees his old friends around, but they can't be his friends anymore because he doesn't have any shared school experiences.

Secondary schools don't always want to take children out of year group, restricting his chances of his first choice of school later.

Just little every day things, like playing in teams, lining up in age order, all the 9 year olds do X or Y, etc, etc. will cause him to feel 'different'.

Unless he is desperately far behind academically and socially, then it should definitely be a no.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I think you need an EP report to keep a child back a year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know on the continent this can be common practice, but like sparklghirl and ctob I would suggest it is not a good idea. It's hard enough for the European students who have to do this, but it is accepted practice and treated as such by students, classmates and family.

6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

It could cause a lot of problems down the line. What about national tests, secondary transfer, all his/ her mates in the class above, maturity... it goes on.

Also, if you do it for one, who's to say that other parents might request the same.
    There's strong evidence to say it is educationally harmful.

d43587 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Researched this this year as we were asked about repeating reception year. The school can do this that is fine if they think it would be best for the child. What the parent must know is that issues can arise when the child moves school. As most secondary schools are academies they set their own admissions criteria. They could insist on transfer that they return to original year group ie at end of Y6 they go into Y8.

8. Lara mfl 05

This certainly happened to me with a child who was 'held back for a year'.
    Instead of moving up from Year 5 to Year 6 at the end of the Summer Term, we were informed that she would have to transfer straight to Year 7 in High School.:eek: That is a huge jump and we had just half a term to prepare her for the 'big move', :(

d43587 likes this.
  9. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I would suggest that socially and psychologically it would be a bad idea. As other posters have said, children can be cruel, and he/she will always have that self-esteem issue lurking, creating a long-term psychological vulnerability. The lack of peer group is also an issue. Would suggest individual booster work and focus on his or her educational gaps.

10. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

This may or may not apply to this particular situation, but I think it's wise to make well-considered decisions at the very start of a child's education in their best interests. I knew a case of a little boy who was meant to be born in late September but was premature and consequently had an August birthday. In Nursery he really struggled - he was very small and was less emotionally and physically developed than his peers. In my opinion it would have been in his best interests to stay in Nursery for another year and be one of the oldest in Reception the next year (by a couple of weeks); but no, he went into Reception and continued to struggle there. The pattern was set, and I felt it was a very sad situation.
    How well moving up/staying down may work could depend upon when the child's birthday is. The September-August academic year groups are very arbitrary time-scales: a child born in August and consequently the youngest in one year group could be perfectly happy being the oldest in another year group.
    However, as other posters have said, if secondary schools are rigid or unbending regarding pupils' ages and year groups, then there could be problems further down the line. My impression is that the independent sector may be more flexible.

TEA2111, d43587, digoryvenn and 2 others like this.
  11. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Good point Viola.

I have long felt that premature babies should be enter school according to their due dates rather than their early appearance in the world, having taught several children who were born months earlier - one the son of a friend who was born at 23 weeks (in August) who would have benefitted from being in the next year's intake.

12. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I have a child in my school who repeated a year and they are now approaching the end of their primary education. This is now causing huge problems - the issue wasn't thought through enough in the beginning. It seemed OK in KS1 but then the KS2/secondary school transition problems arises.

My advice - don't do it. I won't allow it again as I have now got to move the child up 2 years in one year because secondary won't accept them at a later stage.

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Parents of prem babies are told that development should be measured from the due date, not the birth date. My child is an August birthday who should have been late September, and I was ready to fight the system on those grounds if needed. It beats me that teachers don't even necessarily know that a child was prem, and that there is no automatic option to work from the due date for those who cross the school year boundary.

(As it turned out, my daughter was entirely ready for school and reading fluently at just turned four, so we're quite glad she turned up so early. It runs in the family - her father is an August birthday who should have been October.)

ViolaClef and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

I agree with @sparkleghirl . It's fine if age never comes into it but if you have a child who wishes to play sport then they'll find they are not allowed to play in the same team as their class peers.

Also, it means they can learn and be driving in Year 11. They could also drop out of education half way through their further education because you can leave full time education at 18.

Finally, to be considering this approach now by the school is not acceptable. Have they done their KS1 assessments? They can't redo the assessments next year.

Is it an infant or primary school? If junior, what are the future implications for this school? If primary, could the child not repeat English/maths in the morning in Year 2 but remain in Year 3 for afternoons?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

At my present school in China, children sometimes repeat a year if they have not made good progress. If a child has been absent from school for a long period, then repeating the year might be the sensible thing to do.

16. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I will move the child up so they are with their peers but they will go back to their previous class for Maths (possibly) not English) at least for a year.

This way the child will continue to be with her peers). Very difficult situation for all - particularly the child for their future.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

Yes, but if this is 'accepted practice' in China, it may be slightly more acceptable.
    I like Marshall's suggestion of
    . We've done this and 'the other way round' with G & T children for Maths and because the year 6 used textbooks which differentiated, they were able to continue working at their own level. Being an Indie though we knew that Year 7 wouldn't be a problem, but in a State School I might had had more misgivings.

18. feldmansimon

feldmansimon New commenter

I repeated a year of 6th form in the 1990s which means I left school @ 19, yes 19!!!! How unheard of is that? What i also want to know is...what if someone repeated a year in say reception... then later on repeated a year of sixth form. is it legally and practically possible to have a situation with a 20 year old in a secondary school 6th form (not college)! Simon