1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Repeat blood test - no alcohol for 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pastychucker, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hi all. I have recently been for a blood test - to investigate possible diabetes or thyroid problems. I have just received a letter saying my doc wants the blood test repeated and it specifys no alcohol for 2 weeks preceeding the blood test. The receptionist said there wasn't a problem and that blood tests are often repeated for very simple reasons.
    I'm a bit puzzled by the no alcohol bit. Its not a problem at all to abstain, I only have the odd glass of wine. The last blood test was a fasting blood test.
    Any ideas?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have hypothyroidism and have regular blood tests, I think 3 times a year or something and I have never been asked not to have alcohol.
    get off that internet, if you read those medical sites, we are all doomed!!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Having done blood tests myself for many years, I can't think / remember any blood test that requires no alcohol for 2 weeks. Especially not thyroid / diabetes tests.

4. That does sound strange-if it was a liver function test, it might be easier to understand but not for thyroid/diabetes ones. I think speaking to your GP is the best idea as it could have been an administrative mix up.

5. Not for the receptionist to give any comment, but they so often do. Don't worry about it. It may well be that your doc. has discussed this with a colleague who's suggested a repeat or look at something else. If you're fretting, ask for an appointment or if your GP could phone you to discuss it. I don't know if that's common practice, but ours will do this.

6. Thank you all for your replies.

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

My Mum was on some meds that can affect liver enzymes and she had to stop them and change to something else - I can't remember what they were off the top of my head but could that be the case for you?

8. Thank you for the suggestion but I don't take any meds at all.
    I have been worrying about this all weekend. I have been over and over my alcohol intake and my husband agrees with me. In fact he says I drink less than I am estimating. I don't have a bottle of wine EVERY weekend - probably more like once a fortnight and there is usually about a fifth of a bottle left on a Sunday that I generally have with Sunday lunch but not always. The occasional binge maybe every 4/5 months or so but nothing regualr or fixed. Its been no problem not to drink over the last week. Even last night when we had friends over and everyone else was drinking. So why do feel like my doctor thinks I've got a drink problem???

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's probably just one of those things... I had a recall once because my white blood cell count (I think) was sky high... but when they retested it less than a week later, it was normal again.