1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Repaying maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by charliew234, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

I was hoping someone could give advice as the person in charge of our payroll who I should be asking, works at the school and would tell the head what we had discussed - and I haven't made a final decision yet on returning to work so it wouldn't be right for me to not talk to her first.

Basically I have been on maternity leave since January and planned to go back in Jan 2016 after having the full year off. For many reasons I am now thinking of handing in my notice and searching for another job, (my school is now an academy). I understand I will have to repay the 12 weeks half pay if I don't return but don't know exactly how much this would be. Looking at payslips it seems I got about £1200 per month, but then with smp, tax, ni, pensions and student loan it complicates things so would I be repaying the £1200 or whatever the total is after the above deductions were taken off this?

Also, my union advised I could off set some of this cost against annual leave since even though teachers don't take any, they technically have them and take them during holidays such as easter/summer etc. the union lady said the entitlement was 28 per yr but I won't be able to claim all 28 since I would have used some in the first term (5 in October and 10 at Christmas before I started maternity leave) but she couldn't explain why I wouldn't be entitled to claim a full 28 days since even though oct/Xmas used some, I will have had a whole yr off!

I'm not trying to get every penny out of school before I leave, just make it easier to afford to leave and find a school that I am really happy in, and I don't feel I can ask anyone at school without it getting awkward,

Thanks in advance.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

To be honest - You *are* going to have to have this conversation with your school in order to get an accurate answer.

The 12 weeks at 50% pay amounts to between 3-5K depending on your specific salary pay point.

If your union is willing to support you offsetting some as annual leave then go for it and indeed let them support you to the most beneficial conclusion for yourself.