1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reorganisation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vicky pollard, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Don't want to say too much but in a reorganisation it is likely that the subjects I teach will change/disappear. Can the school reduce my hours? I am full-time.

2. Don't want to say too much but in a reorganisation it is likely that the subjects I teach will change/disappear. Can the school reduce my hours? I am full-time.

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

If you have a permanent contract look at the conditions. I wouldn't think a decent HT or HoD would fail to consider your wishes in a reorg - you should be consulted. Have a think about what YOU want out of this then negotiate if necessary.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The bad news is that the HT sets the curriculum (subject to the law) and allocates the time. There should be a consutation exercise, but it has to be meaningful rather than token.

5. This happens all too frequently. Falling numbers is always a point of concern because it's almost inevitable that it will trigger redundancy. The school /LA will have a policy on this and the law is very clear on the procedure. What the school Governors would normally do if they are looking at redundancy is to post notice of a consultation together with a rationale, with a timetable. It would indicate a target pool of teachers who are likely to be affected, call for volunteers, and if none are forthcoming, proceed with compulsory redundancy. Alternatively it may be viewed as an economic/operation necessity for changing contracts. Again a consultation period should follow.As always, ensure you are supported by union officials (not reps unless they have been trained to deal with redundancy/contractual changes). So the answer is - yes they can if it's deemed economically or operationally necessary - but they do have procedures to follow.