1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reopening of schools on June 1

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mbee1, May 14, 2020.

1. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

As CoG of a Community school, I've had an email from the LA today devolving all responsibility on the reopening of schools to Headteachers & Governing Bodies. I've had a lengthy conversation with the Head who has many concerns as opening for Reception, Y1 and Y6 plus continuing to host the children of key workers will mean 300 children in school!

Keeping to classes of 15 children will mean eight classrooms in use plus space for Reception children plus the associated staff. What is concerning is that this decision was taken by the Cabinet Office without discussion with the DfE and thus no input from education "experts". We're already noticing the key worker children increasing as more people start going back to work.

We're sending a parent questionnaire out to see whether parents intend to send their children to get an idea of numbers. We're also in discussion with our family of schools in the hope that, whatever decision is made, we can do it as a family.

In addition, the Government want all primary children to have four weeks of school prior to the summer break which we can only do with full classrooms!

Brainless idea or what? I've called a full meeting of the Board for late next week in the hope that, by then, we may know more from the Government and the unions!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My thoughts are same as yours.

We're still talking but unsure what to do.

The LA is right in one way - it is a decision that's the responsibility of schools (heads + GBs) to make. The LA has no power to decide. But if LAs have any worthwhile role in future you'd think advice and guidance on something like this is what they should offer!

3. mbee1

mbee1 Occasional commenter

I wonder if LAs have any future worthwhile role? They've given no advice or guidance at all. Fortunately, we generally work together well within the family of schools supporting each other as best we can and I hope whatever we do will be the same within the family.

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

In my Authority most of the schools ,including Academies pay the LA for Health and Safety. At the current time the Health and Safety Officer will be a great help in providing excellent information for the risk assessments for all our primary schools.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Our LA and it's governor support team is providing guidance

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The advice provided does provide quite a few questions for governors though - who are at the held of both staff and student/ pupil safety at this time....