1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renting - fridge/freezer has died...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by msmuse, May 8, 2012.

1. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

This is all accompanied by a terrible chemical smell [​IMG] Is that something I should be worried about - i.e. is it a danger to me and my children in any way?
    I have lost approx £30 worth of food - can I assume that I am entitled to a refund of the money for lost food? Are they obligated to replace the FF? I don't know how old it is, but I know I haven't done anything to contribute to its demise. I have lived in this house for 18 months.
    Thanks for advice - I am still particularly worried about the 'chemical' smell, which I can't wash from my hands [​IMG]

2. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

This is all accompanied by a terrible chemical smell [​IMG] Is that something I should be worried about - i.e. is it a danger to me and my children in any way?
    I have lost approx £30 worth of food - can I assume that I am entitled to a refund of the money for lost food? Are they obligated to replace the FF? I don't know how old it is, but I know I haven't done anything to contribute to its demise. I have lived in this house for 18 months.
    Thanks for advice - I am still particularly worried about the 'chemical' smell, which I can't wash from my hands [​IMG]

3. Your landlord need to sort out the removal of the FF and a reasonable replacement, assuming the place was rented as furniture and this is included in fixtures and fittings. The removal is important as it costs c.£20 to have one taken away because the chemicals have to be disposed of properly. He doesn't have to refund the food - if you have a policy on the house this would cover it, although possibly not for £30, because of excess.
    As for the danger of chemicals not really, but have a look at this http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/chemicals_freon.htm