1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renting advice needed re garden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Jul 5, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think if its in the agreement tools should be provided. Our landlady provided a lawnmower and therefore the lawn in mowed.
    If you moved to an apartment you'd have no use for a mower so its rude if they expect you to purchase one x

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Further to what others have said:
    1)Ask specifically what they are expecting. Length of grass? maintenance of borders? weeding? tree/bush trimming (ooer missus) etc etc
    2) Give them a list of tools you require to do the job. For the above lawnmower, hoe, spade, fork, trowel, shears, wheelbarrow would be the minimum I would expect.
    Don't let them dictate this by the way. If you think they are being unreasonable then negotiate. I would say keeping the lawn mowed, the border edges maintained and borders weeded is tha maximum that should be expected of you. You're a tenant not a landscape gardener.
    I would say however, without seeing what your idea of 'keeping it maintained' is, it is difficult to say whether or not you are doing a decent job. In the summer gardens do grow very fast and can quickly become overrun.
    Regards them looking at the garden, I would question this with them. However the alternative is for them to arrange an appointment with you when you are there so they can see it. Do you really want to have to do this?

3. I think if they had made an appointment this would have been much easier as it would be easier to point out what was acceptable and what needed work. A discussion would then have brought up and solved some of the problems posted here without the feelings of resentment that have been fostered by going about it this way. I had a think about this overnight and I think the most important thing to do is maintain the positive relationship you have with the landlords. When things get "official" it can get heated. You need to meet up, remind each other than you are decent people and seek a reasonable compromise.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What she said. Discussion and flexibility (seeking compromise) is the key.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

How did they get into the garden? It is fenced and gated?
    If so, buy a lock. You have the right to quiet enjoyment.
    If they question it, say that the thought of them entering your garden made you realise that it was a potential home security issue. In future, they can contact you and organise an appointment.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nuke it with a cocktail of roundup and pathclear.
    Job done!
    [​IMG]

7. I have no idea what the norm is Robyn, but let's just say that round here it is painfully obvious which houses have been let out. The gardens are neglected BEFORE tenants move in.
    I'd definitely be a bit uppity about this and speak to the landlord straight away. If he was suburbia's equivalent to Monty Don and he'd been a passionate gardener, then fair enough, but if the garden was nothing special, or just 'neat' when you moved in I'd be quite clear that I'd maintained it adequately.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The garden is a pain in the a***. It has no lawn. Just a path winding through "flower beds" with overhanging bushes and various sections. When I moved in, it was Winter so didn't even look in the garden. Just agreed to look after the garden. When I saw it, it was a case of OMG.
    The garden can be accessed through the side entrance (we have a communal porch). I am a little bit peeved that they came in - but I do want to maintain a good relationship with the landlady. I can't afford a gardener but do have the time to look after it over Summer. I am just really annoyed that they came in and then went through the rental agency.
    I have left a message for the landlady to arrange a meeting - it is just how you define neat. The garden is not overlooked by anyone. I think they seem to think they "still live there" and want a garden to be proud of.
    Another annoying thing - I live in a small village. My best friend here is also the god daughter of the owner (!) so was keeping my cool in the pub last night. Everyone knows everyone!

9. Perhaps if they were keen gardeners (and it sounds it from the way you describe the garden) it is hard for them to let go of it. At the same time, I can understand how you feel - I like gardening but the thought of maintaining someone else's, especially during term time, is not an attractive one!

10. All I ever did in our rented one when we rented was wave a lawnmower (provided around), keep the hedges trimmed (world's worst shears provided - we ended up buying our own hedge trimmer to save my sanity on that one) and weed the border in the front. Of course Mr Cheap-Skate-Bodge-Job had put bark chipping down in the front but hadn't put the weed surpressant stuff down under it (to save a fiver) so we had the joy of everything growing back there... so in the end we lifted all the bark, put weed membrane down and re-barked it just to give ourselves an easy life.
    As for the borders out the back - they were overgrown when we took the house on - I wasn't going to betterment them up for him since he was such an eejit landlord. We did the front mainly because I didn't want to be the rented house wiht badly maintained garden dragging the street down (looks out of the window at the hydrangea from hell and wonders what I am now we own a house lol)!

11. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

I would expect your rental agreement to include some information/clause on garden maintenance, as well as when 'inspections' will be made. Many landlords like to view their property regularly during the period of the tenancy (both indoors and out), details of this should also be in your agreement. If his/her agents have visited without notice, it could actually contravene the terms of the contract!
    If there is nothing in your agreement about garden maintenance I would challenge them to show by what right they intend to charge you for someone else to do the gardening to their (undefined) standard. Judgements as to what constitutes standards of 'tidiness' will vary from person to person (- ask a mum with teenagers!) and is far too vague.