1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renting a room in the library to do group classes

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by luxmit, Sep 21, 2019.

1. luxmit

luxmit New commenter

Hi,
    Apologies if this topic has been posted already. I am a Science teacher and would like to start tutoring. It is difficult for me to do tutoring at home, so I have contacted my local library to rent a room to start group classes and they have given me permission for that. Someone has mentioned that I may have to pay Business rate if I was to tutor in the library? Is this true? Could someone clarify this for me please? Thanks

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've never done this, but surely you just tell the library the reason for renting the room and they'll charge you the appropriate rate.

3. luxmit

luxmit New commenter

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I will be registering as a sole trader once I start tutoring at the library. In addition to paying tax/NI, do I also pay business rate (tax)? Someone told me that is a statutory tax that I may have to pay if I am renting a space for business purpose? I've never heard of it before, so I wanted to make sure whether it applies to me before starting to tutor. Thanks

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Sorry I misunderstood. I've no idea I'm afraid.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

I did try doing this for maths and it never really took off. Business rates in like council tax for business. It's for the services the council provide. I am not 100% sure but I always associated it with shops on the high street. I would assume the library would be the one to pay the business rates but they wouldn't need to as they are not a business.

6. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Some venues charge different rates i.e. amounts for using their facilities if you are a business or if you are a non-profit making organisation such as a charity. I suspect this is what your friend means.

7. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

If you are hiring a room in a library on a sessional basis, you would not be liable for business rates. The library, cafe, community centre or wherever would be paying business rates and the charge they make to you would include an element relating to that in their calculations.
    If you rent a property for business purposes as the lessee, then you would be liable for business rates. Also, if you do use a room in your own home exclusively for business purposes then you would be liable for business rates on that element of space.

8. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Do you you insurance?

9. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I have never heard of a library renting out rooms before. They don't usually have rooms anyway as far as I know. They just have rooms full of aisles of books lol.