1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renting a flat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all,

I have put down a deposit to rent a flat at last. (hurrah) and am just filling out the forms for the reference checks. It asks for the details of my employment to confirm salary etc - do I put down the LA as my employer or the school? At the moment i've put down my head teachers name as the contact, but wanted to check i'm right!?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

yep put down your head.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

That's what I thought. Thanks :)

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Make sure they let you know how your deposit money will be protected. They're supposed to let you know withing 14 days of paying it.
    My students' deposit goes in the government-backed deposit protection Scheme and they repay the tenants at the end when landlord and tenants agree on any deductions for damage etc.
    Other landlords hold onto the money but have to take out an insurance policy to protect the money.
    In both cases, the other agency arbitrates disputes and will pay out (the insurance route) if they find in favour of the tenant and the landlord fails to hand over the money.They then take legal action against the landlord to retrieve the money.