1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renfrewshire situation - how can parents and teachers in other councils show support?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by figra, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I was wondering if there is any where that we can register our opposition to the council's ridiculous proposals to employ unqualified staff to cover non contact time - yet another example of treating education as no more than a free child minding service.
    I neither work nor live in Renfrewshire, but I am only too aware that if this goes ahead, we will all pay the price. So...any suggestions as to how we can help? Anyone we can petition, anything we can sign, any viral campaigning we should know about?
    After all, "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next".

2. I was wondering if there is any where that we can register our opposition to the council's ridiculous proposals to employ unqualified staff to cover non contact time - yet another example of treating education as no more than a free child minding service.
    I neither work nor live in Renfrewshire, but I am only too aware that if this goes ahead, we will all pay the price. So...any suggestions as to how we can help? Anyone we can petition, anything we can sign, any viral campaigning we should know about?
    After all, "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next".

3. Figra,
    You could approach your own MP and ask for their assurance that it will not be considered by their council. You can spread the word to colleagues by posting links to Renf parents website which has lots of good info. including response documents written by the wonderful Robert Wright.
    http://renfrewshireparents.schools.officelive.com/default.aspx
    Best of all come along to the Demo planned for the 19th Feb and physically swell the numbers. This will be a warning to all councils that parents and teachers are not going to accept this. There are large numbers coming from Glasgow and East Dunbartonshire. You could also ask your local EIS to inform their members of the current situation.
    Hope some of this is useful. Its good to see that there are others out there who can see how dangerous this situation is.

4. Figra we need to watch this one. The argument will be that there are already many visiting agencies who already deliver content to classes regularly. In Glasgow things like the alcohol awareness programme, the Rocks, Active Schools staff to name but a few make a really valuable contribution to the curriculum. Teachers often only attend these sessions to supervise and have little it no part in planning or delivery of the content. It may be said that this is a poor use of a teacher's time and supervision could be done by other staff. This may be viewed as a trade off for maintaining current non class contact time. As you say, who knows where this practice could lead in the future.

5. Teachers prepare the children for these types of event and follow up the learning afterwards through more lessons, if they don't attend the event how could they do this? Active schools staff often introduce an activity which the teacher continues in future PE lessons, and can use the following year etc...It is not a waste of time but an important learning/ teaching experience which is more that just the "event"

6. Thanks, Stronghand. I've signed the petition, will attend the protest, and am going to email all my local representatives about it. I've also shared details of the petition on Facebook - this and Twitter are a really good way to get signatures and support. Is there a FB campaign page?