1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renfrewshire Council kids go on strike

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by scotia444, Feb 5, 2011.

1. This was a suggestion made at last nights meeting with Labour representatives in Paisley.
    Kids would be off school but Renfrewshire Council will still have to cover all labour costs and overheads.
    Now that's what I call creative thinking! Must also tick a few of those citizenship boxes the enrichment programme hopes to target.

2. This was a suggestion made at last nights meeting with Labour representatives in Paisley.
    Kids would be off school but Renfrewshire Council will still have to cover all labour costs and overheads.
    Now that's what I call creative thinking! Must also tick a few of those citizenship boxes the enrichment programme hopes to target.

3. Fantastic - let them experience their democratic right to protest and how politicians are there to listen to and serve the people!

4. And hit a bunch of CfE E's and O's at the same time, along with developing responsible citizenship. What's not to love?

5. Loving this idea! But at the end of the day, it'll be down to the parents, in my view! The apathy among some parents is overwhelming, blissfully unaware.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Plus in reality, how many parents CAN keep their kids off school- assuming the majority work?

7. They've done it before - national assessments anyone...

8. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

That's got to be a real legal minefield for the Labour group. Setting aside the rights & wrongs of the Renfrewshire proposals, what we're actually talking about is Labour encouraging primary age children to skip school!
    The difference with the national tests was that parents took the decision to take their children out of school on that day - something which I'd completely understand on this one. That way, it's the parents' decision. not that of an 8 year old who fancies a day off.

9. None of the MSPs present on Friday suggested this, or responded to a parent's suggestion that this is what she would do. The assembled crowd clapped and cheered her, but the MSPs kept neutral faces.
    I like the idea, but I don't think I'd have the chutzpah to do it, unless my daughter's school backed it, which they're not going to do, are they?!

10. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I think it's a given that parents would be involved. Nobody suggested children would be approached by strangers who'd encourage them to skip school! Someone else said it would need parental involvement. Of course it would! It WOULD BE parental action, ie them keeping their children from school.