1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renfrewshire Council defeated

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MrsRucksack, Feb 21, 2011.

1. well done everyone involved!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Brilliant news. When I heard I found it hard to believe that recapitulation had come so quickly - it just goes to show that even Councils have to listen when parents and teachers work together.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Fixed it for you!

Well done indeed. Now let's see what the next meeting with COSLA brings ...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One way or another we'll be paying for 'Renfrewshire's embarrassment. They're not about to be humiliated this way without taking it out on someone.

5. Hooray! I only hope this nonsense isn't something they consider nationally.

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, excellent news! All the other LAs and the SG were clearly watching the Renfrewshire situation closely and now they know that teachers and parents mean business.
    Of course there will be other issues to be tackled but at least now the politicians know that parents are not so easily duped and teachers are going to defend their professional status and conditions of service.

7. Nowt like a mass of angry parents and a threat of widespread industrial action to make the powers that be think again. More of this sort of direct action will be needed to deal with the current SNCT "shopping list" of cuts too.
    Its up to us to show that we will bite back, especially when elections are looming.

8. readaholic

readaholic New commenter

Excellent news! Well done to everyone involved.

9. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Hear,hear.

10. Of course it won't go without someone getting nailed to the Cotton Street cross for it - the likely candidates are Robert Naylor, Director of Education. When everyone said he should never have been appointed this probably proves why.

Madeleine Sharp, Acting Head of Children's Services and Liz Cameron, Education Convenor will both be soon in receipt of a very generous early retirement deal.

Question is could anyone continue in their position with any credibility after such a humiliation.

Methinks not.

11. Hate to say it but-- we have won a battle- prepare for the war !

12. Bl00dy well done to all involved.
    I suspect mydoll is right, but there's been a very strong message sent here from the parents and staff in Renfrewshire.

13. sbf

sbf

That's the truth for sure.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

yip. Locally and nationally.

15. I worked at a school where Madeleine Sharp was HT, and I always had a lot of time and respect for her, She helped me a lot early in my career with advice and guidance, and I was genuinely shocked that she would have anything to do with this scheme, let alone be the lead person in its implementation.

16. I have worked very closely with her myself in the past however she along with a few others were seconded to this strategy and this is what has happened out of it.

There always has to be a fall guy and nobody is going to want to go without a fight.

However you only have to look at all the council documentation that goes along with all this and those three names I mentioned are emblazened across them.

Doesn't take a genuis.

I hope that for the sake of those seconded onto this strategy that they aren't going to suffer for carrying out the task they were asked to do however, there is always someone that has to suffer.

You also have to question that can the Head Teacher's that were seconded and involved in developing this strategy really return to their schools and expect the support and backing of their staff.

Doubt it.

17. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Is it not also somewhat surprising that a former secondary head teacher was given the task of drawing up a 'Revised Model for the Delivery of Primary Education' in Renfrewshire Council?
    Can you imagine the outrage there would have been if a former primary head teacher had been given the task of drawing up a revised model for the delivery of secondary education?
    Thankfully common sense has prevailed because if these proposals had gone through, they would have had serious implications for all sectors of education.
    Of course it will not be the first time that someone promoted to 'the office' has succumbed to political pressure, become a 'company person' and compromised their professional convictions.
    I have no doubt there are plenty of other examples.

18. Mrs Sharp isn't a former secondary HT she was in her position and was seconded out of it.

The fact a serving secondary HT was responsible for putting together this strategy is ridiculous although there were Primary HT's seconded onto it whose names haven't been made as public as unfortunately Mrs Sharp's has.

I do feel very sorry for all involved. The class dish of egg a la face has been served.

19. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I wonder if what goes on during the 2.5 in primaries will be monitored more closely now for a chance to spot a *** in the armour.