1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renewing US passport in Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennifermd25, Jul 31, 2016.

1. jennifermd25

jennifermd25 New commenter

Hi all! My passport will expire in January 2018 (in the middle of my job contract ) and I'm wondering how long the process takes and how early I need to start it? I'm also worried that I won't be able to travel around while I wait for my new passport. Is it OK for me to just have a US ID while traveling around to other Schengen countries while I am waiting for it to be processed? I'd be really bummed if I could not move around while waiting for this. Just curious if anyone has been through this and how they recommend I do it. If I would have known I was getting this job earlier I would have taken care of it here in the States but this was a last minute job offer so I had no time :(

Is it best to just mail it in or go to the embassy to make sure I have the paperwork in order?

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions!

2. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Questions that are too important to rely on anonymous advice on this forum. I suggest you ask the school HR department and your embassy: http://denmark.usembassy.gov/mobile//passports.html

For what it is worth my instinct would be to pick a period in the next 12 months when you will not be travelling and complete the renewal by post. My experience, with British not US systems, is applying in person was a complete waste of time - time consuming and they still did not check the documents submitted. The only bonus was that you could keep your passport until the new one ne was ready, but that meant that two visits to the Embassy