1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

renewable energy in EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by looneylou86, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hello,
    This is a plea for help! In our school, we are having a climate change week based on renewable energy. I teach Reception and am really stuck for ideas for my class. I have searched the internet but lots of the ideas are more suited to older children. Has anybody out there got any ideas they have used in their class?
    Thank you :)

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm disappointed...... I thought you had a plan for harnessing and using their enegy! Treadmills?

3. hmmmm, i did consider this but we don't have any exercise bikes or cross trainers at school :)
    I am racking my brain but I seem to be drawing a blank when it comes to renewable energy.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Sorry, I can't be more help. I find it enough for children to understand which household items use electricity never mind where that comes from. I'm interested in what other people have to say though.

5. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Hi! How about something about recycling? Throwing things away and sending them to the incinerator has an effect on climate change!
    Talk about recycling and have sorting activities with cans, newspaper etc. Also try to get your hands on one of those can crushers that they can stand on.
    Also, what about talking about wind energy and then making some windmills, you can get some great outdoor learning with that.
    Water play....water wheels!!!
    See if you can find a wind up torch, wind up radio and create their own with "models"...
    Hope that helps.