1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renaming Remainers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Jan 31, 2020.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I suggest that we Remainers now become Rejoiners.
    Farage and others spent 20+ years campaigning for us to leave the EU. Those of us who opposed Brexit should now spend the same time, if necessary, agitating for rejoining.

jellycowfish, cissy3, vannie and 9 others like this.
  2. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

I suggest you accept that we are all British citizens and be optimistic about ways of making this a better country for all, rather than looking back at fanciful dreams of a failed political experiment. You are free to campaign for a referendum to rejoin the EU, of course, but why on earth would you want to?

3. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

In order to make the country better for all?

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Before very long I think we'll become either "ToldYouSos" or "Don'tSayWe Didn'tWarnYous", but we have at least another year for that to resolve itself. :)

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Lovely to see another thread on the subject though.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Rejoin?

So we'd have to accept the Euro... all new members sign up to transition to the Euro.
    We'd lose the social charter opt out.
    We'd have lost the rebate so we'd be paying more to the EU, probably the equivalent of the Brexit bus.
    And by then there could be an EU army... so that'd be something we be expected to join wholeheartedly.

I just don't see it... we'd have to be pretty desperate to sign back up.

dleaf12, Kandahar, peter12171 and 5 others like this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We are leaving. The majority vote won. Get over it. Look forward and make the best of it.

8. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

Whether you are elated, disappointed or undecided, have a good weekend.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The machinations.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

To enjoy freedom of movement and purchase anything I choose in the EU..

11. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Democracy is about change and demographically the under the '30s wanted to remain. So never say never...
    We may end up with a devolution of the whole of the UK and people going to live in Scotland when they rejoin as an independent nation.
    In the 1910s to say there would be an independent Ireland would have sounded ludicrous.
    Politics change, points of view change, but I don't feel I will be around for any significant change. I hope my children who are really adults can help facilitate change.
    But at the moment it is pie in the sky, with pink elephants floating along.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But in 20 years time those youngsters will be oldie and will have realised we are bettor off out just like the wiser ones knew this time round.:p:D:D

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Or Remainers could simply accept that, when the people were given a choice, their side lost and lost big. It's what they'd expect Leavers to do if the outcome had gone the other way. Because that's how democracy works.

14. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I think that was always the case with Brexit. Europhiles have always wanted us in but have never been honest with others-or themselves- as to what that would fully mean. Political union was always on the cards (look at the sub-heading), but it was never put to the electorate, never on a manifesto. Perhaps the seeds of Brexit were there from the start...

telegraph small.jpg

border_walker likes this.
  15. alex_teccy

1/4 Bn pounds a year on moving the EU Parliament to Stasbourg once a month :rolleyes:

16. yasf

yasf Established commenter

[​IMG]

afterdark likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

Ironically, the people who voted to leave in 2016 were the under 30s who voted to remain in 1975

alex_teccy likes this.
  18. LondonCanary

€114 million per year. Why do you need to exaggerate?

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I was 18 in '73. I voted leave.

20. alex_teccy

My bad, there was no need to exaggerate.