1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Renal dog

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ElenaMukhina, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ElenaMukhina

ElenaMukhina Occasional commenter

My elderly dalmatian has been classed as renal by my vet. Has anyone had experience of a renal pet before? What to do, what to avoid? My vet mentioned some things but was quite technical.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My 13 year old lurcher was diagnosed with renal failure in January. He is on Royal Canin renal food. The only treat he gets is pieces of chicken thigh. I cook up a pack in the microwave and freeze pieces in small bags.
    Every few months he has blood and urine tests and the food has brought all of the relevant chemicals down to safe levels. He is doing very well (apart from the arthritis but that is a separate issue!) Our vet told me that she has had dogs live for 8 years like this. We buy the food online. The vets said you couldn't but they are wrong and it is much cheaper.

3. ElenaMukhina

Thank you so much bombaysapphire. I got some renal food but it was so expensive. I will look online. It's encouraging to know that if the diet is controlled they can live much longer.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Happy to be able to share good news. We were very worried when we had the diagnosis. Long standing family members deserve the best!

5. ElenaMukhina

:)

6. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I had a dog with an illness, not renal, something else, but which could have led to renal failure. A diet low in protein was necessary, very bland and boring for the poor dog. As mentioned, Royal Canin food was used as it's low in protein. Urine and blood tests every 6 months to check the kidneys. It can be controlled by diet and the dog can live a long and happy life.