1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Removing kids from classes for exams

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by glennwall, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Shwmae, everyone,
    I was just wondering if there's a "rule" that allows students to be pulled out of lessons (including core-subject lessons - English, Maths, Science, and Welsh here in Wales) for exams. Another teacher I know says that if it's a WJEC exam, then they're allowed to be pulled out of any lesson.
    Or is it just down to the school?
    Diolch.

2. Shwmae, everyone,
    I was just wondering if there's a "rule" that allows students to be pulled out of lessons (including core-subject lessons - English, Maths, Science, and Welsh here in Wales) for exams. Another teacher I know says that if it's a WJEC exam, then they're allowed to be pulled out of any lesson.
    Or is it just down to the school?
    Diolch.

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I don't know if it's a rule, but it's surely unavoidable. Exam times are set by exam boards, so the school has to accomodate this. Unless there's revision leave, it's going mean students missing lessons.
    While I teach a core subject (English) and do think it is more important than non-core subjects, I'd say an exam in any subject is more important than a normal lesson in a core one. Why should a student miss, say, a Drama exam that will get them a GCSE just to attend one of the 150-odd English lessons they have in a year?
    The exam board shouldn't matter. WJEC has no special status in Wales, as all exam boards are national (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) nowadays. Furthermore, the exam boards set the exam times together, so they are the same for everybody.

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry. Tiny correction. Exam boards were a 20th century thing. Bit like school boards used to exist as well in the long ago past.
    WJEC, AQA, EDEXCEL, and OCR are all awarding bodies.

5. CandysDog

Actually, the correct term, according to Ofqual, is awarding organisations.
    I just use 'exam boards' (in informal contexts, such as this) because it is the most-widely understood term.
    (Also, WJEC had a department called the 'Examinations Board' as recently as 2007. Maybe they still have.)

6. finamar

finamar New commenter

Are you suggested that they should not be allowed to sit their exams?!!!
    Or are you talking about being taken out of class for controlled assessments or revision?

7. Thank you for all your comments. The exam in question was a controlled assessment, which was done during lesson time. There wasn't enough time to complete them all, so I gave up my break and lunch times to record them - I sent out messages and looked for them, but hardly anyone turned up.

Does this normally happen in other schools, i.e., pupils are allowed to be pulled out of lessons (including core) for controlled assessments?

8. CandysDog

Controlled assessments are not exams. They are... controlled assessments!
    How they are organised (such as if students are pulled out of lessons) is completely up to the school.

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

You should not be asked to give up your lunch time to do controlled assessments. It is up to the school to find time for the pupils to complete these. The school absolutely cannot force/coerce you into working in your lunch break.

10. This is what I thought, and I shall be refusing to do it again. Thanks for the support :)