1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Removal/SEN group

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by keasby, Sep 7, 2015.

1. hi, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, so apologies if not.

i have just started a new job, and been given a removal/SEN group in year 10. There seems to be a mix of behaviour and SEN issues in the class, and abilities range from lvl2 to, possibly 5 or even 6.

i've only met them once and they are timetabled for double lessons, but I'm keen to do more than 'busy work'. Does anyone have experience of groups like this, and can anyone suggest good strategies or schemes of work? Their behaviour is very challenging, but I think short, sharp, relevant tasks may be the way to go. Most of them, in a class of 10, are on some sort of college release program, so if I can support that, it might be a good approach.

reading this, it's a bit rambling, but hopefully vaguely logical. Thanks for any help.

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hello, I think you're in the right place. I'm not sure what a removal group is (hopefully an auto correct - otherwise I'm worried about where they are being removed to!)

It sounds like you'll need to know more about your students before you can support them as much as you'd like so a few beginner activities whilst you get to know them is what you're looking for. Perhaps planning 'about me' style activities so you can find out extra information.

There are free plans from various big organisations that suit special schools, and SEN students, available on http://jo.element42.org from the education tag.

Will you be teaching in this class full time?

Your short sharp plan is good, physical movement, expression that isn't always writing, use of media.....

Have a search around the forums, I bet you'll find lots of interesting ideas.

Best wishes.

Jo

swazisam likes this.