1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Removal of Tes Picks

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by labellaroma, Apr 6, 2019.

1. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

As of the 1st of April Tes have notified us authors that the Tes Picks symbol will be removed from all resources and won't be added to any new resources. I am fine with that. Tes continue by saying - quote "We believe that a more accurate indication of quality is the popularity of a resource as shown by the ratings and reviews left by users who've downloaded or purchased it.' This is absolutely codswallop! Everyone knows that ratings and reviews are hard to come by. My own best selling resources which I have sold in the sum of over 3 digits, between them I have received 1 solitary review. And I am sure I am not alone in saying that ratings and reviews at this present time are definitely NOT an indication as to the quality or popularity of a resource. So Tes need to come up with a different approach to identify/reward quality and popular resources. Maybe when a resources sells 'x' amount of times it could automatically get some kind of rating. This lets the buyer know that it is a genuine popular resource. What do others think?

EC_Resources, MosaiK and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

I wholeheartedly agree and can reinforce what you are saying by adding that one of my free resources had over 6000 downloads and got only two reviews! On the other hand you would have thought that it would have attracted TES picks status but it didn't do that that either! I think that clearing out the dross is still urgently required together with an attractive incentive scheme - I think TES can probably afford this as they appear to no longer be subsidising sales

harle, MosaiK and labellaroma like this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I agree as well. I had one buyer leave a really nasty review on a very good resource which he had obviously not downloaded properly...it is a big resource and he said it was one side! He then logged back on, several months later, to say he now had the resource and it was ‘excellent.’ Snag was, he had accused me of all manner of stuff and even bought another resource, which had actually been given TES picks ‘status’, to slate that as well! My sales have really dropped now...I think some of it is a xuktural thing, that new teachers want every tiny thing done for them on the resource, whereas, after 20 years of AST teaching in, I know the value of clear, well-researched but adaptable resources. It hit me last week that many of my buyers will not be working 2 years in, so they want these really tight, AO-focussed files. The final syraw came this week...for one five star review, followed by a very unpleasant one. It was for hard to create A level Language resources...exactly that, a range of resources to use in different lessons, not a single lesson. Rather than contact me, this charming buyer has slated me, got a refund and keeps my resource. I suspect that TES resources is now under totally new management and it cannot or will not support its sellers. Fine. Since last November, my selling experience has bombed. They do nothing to patrol reviews, which shoukd be set up like Ebay, so the buyer who complains gets their refund but cannot slate the seller as well. The royalty costs have shot up. Reviews are not compulsory. I am getting the sense that I am exoected to do all the prep work for a type of teacher/aggressive staff reviewer who has ridiculously high standards, no sense of fairness and just cannot be yrusted to write an impartial review. In fact, most of my revuews have been subjective and not discussed the resource’s teaching impacts at all!

harle, MosaiK and labellaroma like this.
  4. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

It would be nice if an incentive to leave reviews was introduced to get more reviews. However, at present, as reviews and ratings are so rare it would be nice to also have another way of distinguishing if a resource has been well received such as the number of downloads, conversion rate etc.

5. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We appreciate your concerns and suggestions and we do recognise that authors would like to see larger numbers of reviews on resources. We are investigating the best ways to encourage this and will update authors in due course.

[Richard]

labellaroma and nwilkin like this.