1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Removal of management responsibilities - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Jo2004, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jo2004

Jo2004 New commenter

Hi, everyone.

I would just like some advice if possible.

Just recently had a conversation with my headteacher who informed me that he may take away my leadership responsibilities and job title. I do not welcome this and have actually been asking for more professional development in my role as KS Leader.

I have not been given a clear explanation as to why this may happen. I have expressed my concerns about the potential damage to my career as I am hoping to progress in the near future. I was told that it is a positive step for me?!?

I have contacted my union who have given me some advice, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or further advice.

Can I challenge this proposal? My head will be leaving the school next year anyway so it does not make sense as there will be further possible staffing changes then.

I am extremely worried about my career and losing a role I take seriously in school, even if my head doesn't. I am not able to fulfill many of the responsibilities of the role currently because there is very little delegation from the head. I have repeatedly asked for more opportunities and development, but am told they are not available.

Thanks

2. alib193

alib193 New commenter

Hi,

I am so sorry to read your post, it struck a cord as your experience in many ways is similar to mine, though not exactly.

My advice would be that if you have asked and your head will not give you any further responsibility (and may even take some away) you must consider leaving as soon as possible. It is highly unlikely that they will change their mind so look at what else is available that will give you the opportunities that you are keen to undertake. I know that this is not always easy but look and consider applying to as many alternatives as you can.

Re the comment - "I was told that it is a positive step for me?!?"

It sounds like they are trying to force you into a decision, do you have experience at another school that they may consider you need to progress in leadership?

Anyway, I am so sorry that you don't feel supported to develop. It is a terribly upsetting situation for you to be in but you have choices, leaving may be the best one.

Take care, have a restful summer and think carefully about what to do next term.

Ali x

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

On what basis is your Head suggesting this? Are they temporary responsibilities / roles or how are they part of your contract?

An employer may not unilaterally vary the conditions of a contract of employment unless the contract sasy that he may.

4. Jo2004

Jo2004 New commenter

Thanks for your advice - I have been applying to other jobs this year but not yet been successful. I lost out to an internal candidate for my last DHT interview but had really positive feedback - one thing that was mentioned was that I needed more upto date CPD!! That's why it's so frustrating.

5. Jo2004

Jo2004 New commenter

"On what basis is your Head suggesting this? Are they temporary responsibilities / roles or how are they part of your contract?"

I don't understand why my head is suggesting this - the role has never been temporary and my contract states my roles as 'full-time teacher - KS Leader'. This is why I am so confused about the whole situation. My abilities have never come into question either so I am at a bit of a loss!

6. alib193

alib193 New commenter

Hi again,

I do really feel for you, this sounds so frustrating! Is there anyone else at the school that could give you some constructive feedback?? the deputy head?? Also who does your performance management, could they help?

Re CPD could you investigate short leadership courses that don't require school involvement such as the Open University. Another alternative that would help at interviews is some school based research such as undertaking a lesson study with some "friendly" colleagues.

My e-mail is

alisonbanks88@gmail.com

Mail me if you would like me to send some lesson study information.

Try not to be too despondent and stay positive, if your heart is set on leadership it sounds like you are heading in the right direction from interview feedback.

Ali x

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Ah OK. So if your leadership reponsibilities and role title are integral to your contract, the Headteacher cannot remove them unless you agree to it. To do so would be in breach of your contract of employment.

If he thinks there are issues with the way you are performing the role, the correct approach would be to instogate capability proceedings against you.

If he thinks there is no longer a place for your role, then he must make it redundant and follow through with appropriate redundancy procedures.

Back to union if it looks as if he is serious about this.