1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Remote teaching of A level

Discussion in 'Science' started by Mountaingirl, May 25, 2020.

1. Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl New commenter

I'm sure I'm not alone in needing to come up with ideas for delivering lessons remotely from now initially, but even more so in September.
    So far I've been using Goggle Classroom with PowerPoints and resources which they then upload and I feedback on. I haven't expected to be any more interactive that than and it's worked well with my students communicating by email regularly.
    Moving forward we are going to be using Teams and delivering a combination of face to face and remote lessons. No idea how it's going to work yet.

What I would like some help with is creative and engaging ways to deliver a content heavy A level (biology) to learners who struggle with independence and flipped learning.
    I can add audio to PPT's and know to how run a Teams meeting with chat and hands up. I've just ordered a visualiser so need to play with that.
    Has anybody got nay other ideas other than me blah blah-ing through my PPT slides!
    Thank you.

DrResource likes this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We have been teaching online in HE for the last two months so have started to develop the practice. We don’t always solo teach though so I don’t know if it will all translate. So just like in a classroom when we have teacher led and student led so we do this online. We use chat boxes, surveys, padlets, breakout groups and similar infrastructure to create student led activities. We also set prior learning to a pen interactive session. So they watch a pre-recorded lecture (voice over slides) and then arrive to the seminar with further questions and for activities. Quite often we have fellow lecturers in sessions so we join our classes together and host a master session.
    One thing we have noticed is the need to train students into asking very good questions. That’s the engine of the online teaching room. They have more thinking time and can formulate excellent questions which you can springboard off. So we have lots of little mini-questions sessions frequently to open them up. We also do targeted questions where someone in the class has to type an answer. We don’t, I should say, have all the students with their video feeds on like you do in a meeting.
    Lastly, we use conference design to create a whole morning of learning so the students have quite a personalised experience.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

My thinking is to carve up the content: some will better lend itself to online. So consider changing the sequence of teaching in the hope of returning to face to face eventually.
    Second thought is to share as much preparation and planning as possible. If you have >1 group, have teacher A do topic 1 with both groups, while B does topic 2.
    I think having >1 teacher in at least some sessions will help enormously with skill development for the teachers.

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Struggling with independence or shrewd students who know that independence is a dangerous tendency. Setting boundaries (curriculum) may help.

5. Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl New commenter

Thank you for these suggestions. I'd forgotten about the break out rooms and I think that's something that would work with my students.
    I feel like I'm having to think about teaching in a very different way very quickly! My students do a lot of pre-learning but they then rely on me too much to teach it to them in the lesson - maybe I should see this as an opportunity to wean them off that and just come up with questions about the topic (again, something they aren't good at doing).

6. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

"Quizzes" seem to be popular with the kids. I've been setting them up on Google as multi choice. The integration with Classroom is restrictive, so I set them up so they can answers the questions, see their score and go again. They often keep going until they get them all right. Every time they submit the answer set, it's recorded in a spreadsheet ( in a click, no work from you) so you can see all the marks from all the attempts.
    A few of the formats (multi choice, and check boxes, and single words are ok) are self-marking, but obviously long answers wouldn't work
    Doing it that way you don't get the results auto-fed to Classroom, which forces a single attempt only, setup..
    You can easily see though in Sheets who had trouble with what. In the case of the Excel books it shows up shortcomings in the material ! Templates become useful..

We aren't allowed face-to face online sessions, so it's a lot of typing but with a structure of a few quizzes it's surprising how far they get, in good detail. Obviously start with a setr of well-chosen key point questions.

Use Youtube videos too. Some are good and cover a whole topic in a few minutes. These days the transcript is easy to look at. You can ask the kids questions on what the narrator says, like "Was he correct when he said smaller diameter neurones work faster?". If the student realises says that he forgot to say "only if myelinated" then you have a result. With a Google Sheet full of answers its very quick to scan 25 answers on the same question. Coincidences between friends' wordings stick out like a sore thumb too.

Another thing I've used is the books for the "wrong" course so they won't have it - several are online. I use Acrobat Pro but anything would do - copy some pages and blank out a load of words, so they have to work out what's missing. There are lots of ways to do that if you're cute with the tech. If not so much, you could use a Word document, and make some of the words "hidden" text or make the word's text white and do a screenshot. .Or print it to pdf with them hidden. Then unhidden for the answer sheet. You pick words they should know from the correct book, of course. You can do the same with someone else's annotated drawings.
    In Acrobat I make them so the boxes vanish when clicked to reveal the answer.. They keep going until they've learned what's under all the blanks. Here's a yr9 snip: There's a "button" to put all the pink boxes back in one go, and one to clear them. If you can/want to you can store the results of that but I don't bother.
    upload_2020-5-28_19-59-14.png

Mountaingirl likes this.
  7. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Mountaingirl likes this.