1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Remote teaching inspiration needed!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sandyk, Aug 20, 2020.

1. sandyk

sandyk New commenter

Hi all

I'm a Reception teacher in Doha and it has just been announced that we are taking a 'blended approach' to returning in September. I'm in desperate need of inspiration for online learning activities for children just moving into Reception. I don't know where to start to be honest. While it was tough remote teaching my last class from March - June, they at least were reading, were well established in Read Write Inc and had decent maths skills! Will be a completely different picture this September.

I'd be grateful for any online activities people could suggest to add to my arsenal - Reception and Preschool teachers included as there will be plenty of gaps to fill after 6 months off school I'm sure.

What worked well last year? What was a waste of time? There are only so many stories and treasure hunts via Zoom one can do I feel! I'd be particularly interested in anything PSED related as that's gonna be a HUGE area for everyone this year.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas :)

2. ime20

ime20 New commenter

Hi,
    It might be worth you looking at the Learning Village as a blended learning resource. It's specifically for EAL and SEND learners with an image-based approach that might be useful in the early years.
    www.learningvillage.net

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Why not try my poetry website? Google JOSIE'S POEMS wix. I've written 1,400 plus poems for children of every age and added my own voice recordings. There are lots of story poems for them to enjoy. These poems go out to 188 countries of the world and they're well known on here.

4. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New commenter

Look at the Learning Village for inspiration

5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Do you just want worksheets or do you want children to do meaningful activities/learning?
    Give them open ended activities to complete at home which require them to interact and experience something.
    For example, ask them to take a walk and take a picture of something that inspires them. Print out the photo and get them to tell you what they can see, 'I can see...'
    Then get them to use a medium of their choice to create that picture - painting, clay, collage - whatever takes their fancy.
    Tell them to looking at the pictures they took and write down words they think of when they look at it - get them to verbally explain why.
    Use junk modelling to create something they would like to exist in the world for real. Verbally explain why they wish it existed and then write down (if they can).
    These are just the first couple of things that came into my head. Much more fun than any worksheet