1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Remote learning platforms for children - Microsoft vs Google Education

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by eckford91, Apr 26, 2020.

1. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

Hi everyone!

If this is already being discussed somewhere please point me in the right direction!

I'm looking into whether a Microsoft option or Google Education would be best for a remote learning platform for KS1 and KS2 children.

I'm going to have a play with Google Education now.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome! I'm really into ICT and Computing and it's previously been my subject in a primary school but I feel out of my depth with this one as I've never used either platform.

Thanks in advance!

2. robwilktes

robwilktes Occasional commenter

3. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

Thanks so much Rob that's really helpful. I was looking at Google Classroom last night and it seemed really straight forward setting assignments, marking the tasks etc.

I couldn't work out if there was an option to offer children a live lesson through Google?

I'm looking at Microsoft this evening and I'm finding it challenging to setup to say the least and my degree is in computing.

4. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

On Microsoft I've got a bit further now! Currently exploring 'Flipgrid' and I love their recording feature... really nice for kids to be able to respond with a video of their thoughts and for teachers to be able to share their screens quickly and easily. I guess Google allows this too? I haven't found the feature yet.

5. eckford91

eckford91 New commenter

Ah I've just seen Flipgrid can go into Google Classroom... very clever. Sorry if it looks like I'm talking to myself here - I figure my thoughts might be useful to someone....sometime haha.

6. robwilktes

robwilktes Occasional commenter

Yeah, FlipGrid can be used by either Google or Microsoft. The same is true for Seesaw which is great for primary schools. Most of Seesaw is free and used by most of the York schools.
    Google Meet allows live lessons through Google Classroom if required, although most teachers prefer to record their screens using the Screencastify Chrome extension while explaining something and post it into Google Classroom for pupils to watch when they are ready.

Here's a few links that might help.
    (Google Apps Overview)
    (Google Drive)
    (Google Classroom)
    (Google Docs)
    (Google Docs for Kids)
    https://youtu.be/o7wvajrAxUQ (Google Slides)
    https://youtu.be/9IfjUo1JOMs (Google Slides 2)