1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Remote control stopped working. Help please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Jan 22, 2012.

1. airy's answer is the correct one - you need someone to sort it out for you (why is your son not tv savvy?). If we were neighbours I'd be able to recommend the very person but we're not so I can't. If not your son surely one of his mates could do it?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am working on this, seren. I feel sure he must have a useful mate.
    Thanks everyone for your advice.
    I can't even turn off the wretched thing except by pulling the plug out of the power socket in the wall so I've just watched Birdsong which was on for an hour and 25 minutes but felt like an eternity. Talk about brooding.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

At some time iIn 2010 whenmy job involved me in touring the nation I rang home to ask how it was all going. It turned out from the call the telly was broke.
    When I got back I turned it on and it worked.
    "So what's the problem?" I asked, and she told me she couldn't change the channel. I asked her for the remote control and she gave me a box of bits.
    I studied them and thought it would be possible to reassemble them but a crucial part was missing. The rubber pad that presses the switches. We searched the living room high and low for it but this day have never discovered where it ended up.
    She denies throwing the remote contol in a temper yet can't recall how it came to be in so many pieces either.
    And so it came to pass that I spent part of my life changing the channels on the TV for her, at her whim by pressing the buttons on the box.
    Now we have freesat and a new button machine to select the channels with. It took a while to show her how it all all worked and since I'm often around these days, it's relatively little effort to undo whatever she pressed and find whatever she sought.
    It's probably going to be more difficult if I spend a night or two away from home though.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My new-ish, and rather more swish than I'm used to, tv is set to turn itself off if it feels I have been watching it for too long. It gives me a one minute warning whereby if I press any button on the remote control I'm allowed to watch for a few hours more. My daughter's boyfriend happened to be in when my one minute warning came on and, having heard me mutter darkly about it, lifted my remote control and went straight to a screen offering options I'd never seen before. How did he know where to find it? As it happens whatever he wanted to tick was already ticked so he doesn't know why it's so keen to turn itself off. I've got quite used to it and I suppose it's useful if I wander off leaving the tv on when I shouldn't. I don't watch enough tv to see the warning all that often so perhaps the tv is right - enough's enough.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You have set up a power saving option....wish i had one in my house as its quite regulaer to find wifes gone to neighbour and left tv on....along with lights.Usally with the radio on in the back kitchen as she doesnt like to come into a quiet house.
    I on the other hand go around swtiching off all devices,lights, machines ,etc...but to no avail.When daughter comes its like Blackpool illuminations.....you can follow her journey through the house!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's working again, touch wood! My ex came and jiggled the cable and the remote started working.Miracle!

7. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

A few months ago my partner returned home to find me slumped despondantly on the sofa, with the furniture strewn accross the room. Being out of work i thought i'd be productive and go on the wii fit (exprensive and never used), so moved all furniture which revealed carpet was filthy. Couldn't get the hoover working, nor the wii so sat there in a boo until he came home muttering i might as well have just watched the **** channel 5 film again.
    Much to his amusement, I had the wrong grey plug for the wii plugged in and the bag needed changing on the vac.
    Some under 30s aren't good with gadgets either, ha. Our TV always seems to play sillybuggers when i'm on my own too. [​IMG]