1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

remote control garage doors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Does anyone have one? My dad is getting old and is having difficulty with managing the stretching to open the garage door by hand. We thought we would get him one for his birthday, but it depends on the price! We live a long way from my parents so I can't be at their house to arrange an onsite quote so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of price?

2. Does anyone have one? My dad is getting old and is having difficulty with managing the stretching to open the garage door by hand. We thought we would get him one for his birthday, but it depends on the price! We live a long way from my parents so I can't be at their house to arrange an onsite quote so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of price?

3. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

We had a device fitted to our existing garage door a couple of years ago which turned it into the kind of remote controlled up and over door you might be interested in. It's great! Hubby is out or I'd ask him what exactly it was - others may know.
    It was much cheaper than changing the garage door.
    Our garage door is also quite wide. The garage houses a large car and a motor bike side by side with room to walk between them.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We got ours from Sussex Garage Doors, localish firm with a good reputation.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

My parents also had a mechanism put onto an existing garage door, was so long ago that even if I asked them the cost I think it would be pretty irrelevant now. Could ask them the make though if you like? x

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have two on a double garage. Remotes are a bit fiddly and one of the doors motors broke just after we put the house up for sale and the firm has gone bust. It is still usable as manual. My OH loved them before this and they had worked without a hitch for 12 years. If they stick a bit you can spray polish into the track that they run up and down to make them run smoothly. As long as he doesn't lose remotes it sounds like a lovely idea but I think cost £500 + so not a cheap gift!!

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Try looking online. Ours, for our new house, was about £200. The garage door is quite heavy, so needed something substantial. It was reduced in an online sale.

8. I have 3 sisters, so it wouldn't be that much if it was about £500. I honestly thought someone would say it was about £2000. No idea why I had that figure in my head - we could probably do £500 between us!
    So we don't need a new door, we need to look for something to attach to the door that will make the existing door remote? Sounds good - will have a look online. Thank you all.

9. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

God they're great! We had them at a house we rented, and I felt like a millionaire pressing the button as I turned in the drive, and sweeping into the garage. I'm all nostalgic for it now, as, though we have vast garage now, it functions as the cellar/attic, as it does in most Australian homes, as far as I can see.

10. I had one fitted a couple of yrs ago and it was around £400. The only problem I have with mine is if there is a power cut I have to pull a wire in the wall to unlock it and then open it manually which is really hard to do, The last time I tried it the wire broke in my hand and I had to get the guy out to fix it. It's not a problem though if you have another door into the garage where you can get in and open it manually from the inside. Wish I'd known this before I bought one. HTH

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You could retro fit his garage to be like ours - no door at all so no difficulty closing it!

12. I agree with travel n teach about getting in manually when there is a power cut - I also struggle to pull the wire to get in when there is no electricity. The fuse box is in the garage so the first thing I have to check when the lights go off is the fuses and I do not have the strength in my hands to yank the wire. An extra concern in that my gas boiler is also in the garage so I really do need to get in there! I do love the door though as it allows me to stand back and give the pesky mice chance to run away before I venture in to the freezer! I am saving up to have a door put in to the study so I can get in from the house.