1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reminder for child who gets 'b' and 'd' mixed up

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

This is one of my IEP targets for Y3 SEN boy. My SENCO thought there was a reminder along the lines of

'beckham kicks the ball' but she couldn't remember the rest. Does anyone know?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

diffferent things can work for different children:

• get child to make to fists and then stick thumbs up - this fists now look a bit like a "b" and a "d". If you think about the word "bed" beginning with "b" and ending with "d", then that can help.

• If they've used Jolly Phonics, then ask them to think about bat and ball for "b" (stick first then ball), and "drum and drumstick" for "d" (drum first then stick)

• link to handwriting - if there is a "patter" they learned when first learning correct letter formation, then ask them to use this to help recall how to write "b" and "d"

• link to handwriting and alphabeticl order - think of "abcd". "c" comes before "d", and we write a "c" then turn it into a "d"

• posters as visual prompt - there are a few on the net:
    http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/bed%20poster.pdf

3. last year I had a couple of children who would get b and d round the wrong way so I stuck the letters with a word eg b ball on their desk so they had it in front of them the whole time.

4. It would be interesting to know if any of these ideas have been used by the OP and have worked.
    Also useful to 'up' it for others with the same problem.

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I printed and laminated a b with a picture of a ball, and d with a picture of a duck and stuck it on his desk.

Its too early to say whether it has worked, but the visual reminder is certainly reminding him to check his work carefully.