1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Remarks for IGCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by sunflower48, Oct 16, 2015.

1. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Has anyone got news of any remarks of the CIE writing portfolio remarks back? We sent ours off as CIE moved us down 2-3 marks on the writing portfolio and 2 on the speaking and listening for the whole cohort. We have not heard anything yet but thought it would be about this time that schools heard. Anyone got their marks/grades changed?

2. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

Our remarks have been completed now; all of them have been returned unchanged.

3. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

Am I alone in feeing completely deflated/anxious/scared about this exam board??? I'm spending hours trying to figure out what will be the best approach/pathway for my cohort. Could somebody share some pearls of wisdom? CORE for C/D Borderline kids or EXT paper? I've always entered them for EXT but after this summer's debacle, I just don't know now. What about the DIRECTED WRITING/EXAM ONLY route? I'm thinking of entering some A grade students in for this route because of the lower grade boundaries. Sorry, to hijack your post sunflower48 but I need help.

4. sunflower48

No problem hijacking!!
    I am feeling anxious as well but about remarks which we have not heard a thing yet! We are also over deadline for returning!
    However I can let you know what we did last year, all those who had writing portfolios that we thought(!!!!) were at a high C and we knew would respond to a challenge we put in for extended. We did really detailed and prescriptive exam skills lessons with past papers, marking each question in detail. When I looked at breakdown of marks for eam and portfolios every student had done well In exams, in particular extended students. Those who we put for extended due to high portfolios also succeeded. And despite marks going down by CIE we still got some As, we are not a grammar school.

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

The way they marked the reading paper was pretty harsh, and none of our remarks went up. But then, how likely is it that they will move things up when there are only ten marks between an E grade and an A? Back to AQA for us.

6. sunflower48

We got our remarks back and no change at all. A detailed report was sent but this contradicts the original one from the moderator. Totally disenchanted with iGCSE and their inconsistencies with what their Handbook says, what their reports say and what their final feedback says!

7. Unffordd

Unffordd New commenter

Sunflower, you need to pay attention to what the detailed report says. It will have been written by an experienced TL, or possibly even the Principal Moderator. They will have put a great deal of thought into explaining the moderation decision, and there will be plenty of good advice there.

8. Unffordd

Unffordd New commenter

Sorry if that sounded bossy, but I'd be astonished if there are inconsistencies between the handbook and your detailed report. One of the recurring problems (and I'm not saying this is you BTW) is that centres don't read the handbook or the PM's report.

9. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Sunflower48 - am interested you have finally had decisions back on your moderation queries for the written portfolio. We're still waiting.

I, too, have absolutely zero faith in CIE. We originally received a one sentence moderation "report" that told us less than nothing about why all folders were moderated down.

I am absolutely certain our folder marks will not be altered but at least I am forcing someone at CIE to write a report. I share your disenchantment.

10. Unffordd

Unffordd New commenter

OK, well I'm out of here. I see no point in contributing to a thread where people say they have 'absolutely zero faith in CIE'. All the TLs I know work extremely hard to ensure that moderation decisions are fair, and I find your accusations of incompetence frankly insulting.

11. sunflower48

Thank you Unffordd for your advice. I will most certainly go through the report and look closely at the comments. Maybe my negativity is probably due to the difference in the exam board I am used to dealing with and being told by SLT to go with CIE rather than stick with my original choice of an exam board where the whole department knew the markscheme inside out!!! Moving out of our comfort zone has certainly been challenging for us as teachers but we have to learn from this and ensure that we get this spot on this year! I have appreciated your feedback.