1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reluctant to write in year 1/2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by butterbeer, Jun 25, 2012.

1. I had a boy in my Year 2 class who seemed to be the slowest worker in the world (he mostly just daydreamed). These are the things I tried (most didn't work for me, but might for you):
    Starting off small. I put a dot where I felt he should be able to get to in five minutes and gave him a timer. This didn't work for me as he just stared at the timer instead of working.
    I put a dot and then if he didn't make it I made him miss a bit of golden time. He made no attempt to speed up and seemed happy to miss the golden time.
    I put a dot and if he didn't get near it I gave him the work to do at home. He hated this, so it worked to degree, but I felt it was very negative as just made him hate writing.
    I got the parents on board and asked him what he liked best to do at home which he couldn't do very much. I created a reward card and every session he worked quickly I gave him a sticker. Once he had 10 he took it home and it became a pass card to allow him an extra slots on the computer at home. At the beginning I had to keep reminding him and kept telling him not to forget his card etc. I celebrate every little extra bit of writing and eventually he has really increased what he is writing. He seems to enjoy it more too and is thrilled when he completes a card. I'd try this approach again, as I feel it was the most positive.

2. thanks, i will give it a go!

3. Punishing for not writing is not good. Children soon realise that if they get a punishment for not writing, then writing is not a good thing, and they won't become engaged with it. Boundaries are important, but it is all about positively motivating them. Get older boys (in Year 5 or 6 for example) to come and help/encourage him. Get the head-teacher to *positively* engage with the child. Any positive attention should start to do the trick. Think about 'writing for a purpose / audience' where all pupils can see that there is a reason for their writing, even if it is going to show some reception children. You could even get him to 'help' with teaching younger children to write. Stay positive, and good luck :-D