1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Relocation Package"

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by HotskyForTrotsky, Feb 29, 2016.

1. HotskyForTrotsky

HotskyForTrotsky New commenter

What do packages like these usually entail? I'd have to be moving city to attend the role, and the position advertises a "relocation package". The school's independent.

Will this mean I'll have to be put up in a hotel for a month till I get the first pay check, or is it more like a lump sum to get me settled in the new location?

Anyone with any experience in this area already capable of shedding some light?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It will depend on the school, although I doubt you'd get a month in a hotel!

A common package could be:
    • removal company fees
    • estate agency fees
    • travel fees for family and appointee from old home to new
    Many places set a limit of one month's salary for this, some are more generous. Up to £8,00 (I think - check!) is tax free.

The only way you'll find out is by asking the school. Try the Bursar.

Best wishes

WyvernLetDie likes this.
  3. HotskyForTrotsky

Thank you for your reply Theo!

I didn't think I would either, but a colleague of mine said that she'd had that situation a few years back - a school put her in a travelodge till pay-day and she could make her first deposit on a flat, thought it'd be best to check!

Thanks for framing what it means in a bit more of a revealing light. I shall indeed contact the bursar to see what the school's policy on this is.

Have a good day. :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, I will admit that when I thought hotel, I didn't think Travelodge.

You might be lucky, @WyvernLetDie !

Have you read all the applications and interview advice that I have written, by the way? Tag me @TheoGriff if you need a signpost to get there . . .

Best wishes

5. HotskyForTrotsky

Aye, I've perused the section, no doubt I'll spend more time there closer to the day!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Eight quid? That's a tad stingy.

sabrinakat and WyvernLetDie like this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

;)

What's an extra zero between friends? £8,000

Best wishes

8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I have wondered this about a couple of international posts - lack of clarity. I figure if I get an interview invite I will query it before accepting the interview?

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could try asking on the Teaching Overseas Forum, @senlady .

I think that the rule of thumb is: in Europe, very little. In M.E. and Asia, quite a bit. But it will depend on individual schools.

Best wishes

10. Mike_Luxembourg

Mike_Luxembourg New commenter

When I moved to Luxembourg, my 'relocation package' was:

> (Re-imbursed) travel costs (flight & taxi),
    > Duplex Hotel room (double floor with kitchenette, lounge etc.) for a month,
    > Up-to-£3000 towards shipping belongings/furniture from UK to Lux.,
    > Hired multi-lingual relocation assistant to identify possible accommodation, arranged visits and arranged the paperwork (my Luxembourgish, French or German wasn't great!).

This was my first international job and have come to realise it is pretty unusual/generous.

I would agree that it depends on the school, but not the country/continent as much. The school I moved to, is a top international school, the contract was permanent from the start, they wanted long term high-quality teachers and offered the package to attract those candidates. From personal experience of applying for international jobs around the world - relocation packages are better in Europe (schools are higher-quality) and renumeration packages are better in M.E. In Asia it is a combination of the two generally, I consider.

90% of international contracts are for 1/2/3 years, the longer the contract, normally the better the relocation package offer. From experience, places like Kuwait or Dubai who offer 1 or 2 year contracts typically offer very little in terms of relocation package - don't pay for flights out, visas and/or shipping, however, they do provide better renumeration packages (tax-free salaries, medical, contact gratuities, flights home annually) and in the M.E. provide accommodation (inc. utilities), which makes certain parts of the relocation package mute. Tuition at the school can also be included in an offer for dependents.

Alternatively, a permanent contract offer provides a greater relocation package but not renumeration. My salary was double that of the UK standard, BUT was not tax-free, no accommodation (v.expensive), no medical or annual flights.

Overall, it depends on the school, but also the contract and quality of school (desire to have a low-turn over of teaching staff) and the location to some extent. I have never found a school that has a generous relocation package and a generous renumeration package, that comes when you are SMT/Head!

WyvernLetDie likes this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very helpful and informative post, @Mike_Luxembourg !

Yes, that is what other European-based teachers have said.

Best wishes