1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocation and schools question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NZdreamer, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Myself and family are relocating and I have a few worries about finding school places for my oldest two children.
    The area we are moving to has the Grammar school system,something I know nothing about. My children will be going into Y7 and Y8 in September and I think they will probably be bright enough for the test, both were level 5 at end of KS2 SATS.
    My worry is they are both used to a mixed sex school, and I wondered if as we are leaving all their friends, would going to seperate schools add to their anxiety? (they usually walk to school together) also is there a lot of extra pressure in a grammar school? I think my son would cope, but not so sure about my daughter.
    I have asked them both, and my son says he thinks he would prefer the mixed school (although I know he is capable of great things academically) and daughter doesn't mind, but is a bit worried in case she doesn't pass the tests - non-verbal reasoning being a totally alien concept to us!!
    All advice welcome!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I had a similar problem, moved to a grammar area just after my eldest had started a mixed sex secondary in a non grammar area. We found we were moving on the Friday, he sat the 11+ the following Tuesday, passed and luckily they had a vacancy for him. As with you, I was concerned about the change from mixed to single sex but, after initial worries (more because he didn't start at the beginning of the school year but started after Christmas when freindship groups had already been formed) he soon settled in well.
    Pressure would depend on the type of grammar, ours is a "top 25%" area so there is still a reaonable range of abilities included, perhaps this means the pressure is less than in super- selective areas.
    Not too sure about the sibling difficulty, my younger son joined him at the same grammar 2 years later. I do know that in our area the boys and girls schools meet up on a regular basis!
    The first thing might be to find out if they have vacancies this late in the day, otherwise all your worries will be academic!

3. Thanks!

Yes they do have vacancies, so my gut instinct is to put the grammar schools as first choice and see how they get on. I guess it is natural for them to feel unsettled by any move, and I just want to try and get the schools right for them first time round, to avoid any disruption later.
    Hmm, decisions, decisions!

4. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Go and visit the schools (and take the children) and put only your preferences on the list - if you don't like them, don't put it down, even if you do not fill your choices.