1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Relocation abroad - how feasible on limited budget?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If we ever move to abroad (and settling in Spain has been something we've considered a lot over the years as we both speak the language) we would definitely only rent for at least the first 6 months so that we were not tied down if we decided that having longer holidays there was the way forward rather than being based there. If we sold our property in the UK, we'd use some of the proceeds to buy a smaller place in a UK area where the property could be easily rented out (long-term lets or holiday rental) and we'd then still have a foot on the UK property ladder if we eventually returned to the UK.
    Many ex-pats find that UK property prices have outstripped their overseas property investment nad they can't afford to buy back into the UK market 10 , 15 or 20 years after leaving these shores.
    The big exodus of Brits abroad to non-English speaking countries, is causing more and more issues as those ex-pats age and are widowed etc. The tendency was to buy in ex-pat communities and the prices were higher than in the local housing market. The properties will probably only ever sell again to ex-pats. Many elderly women are finding themselves stranded as they either don't drive or haven't driven abroad. Health care becomes an issue when you don't speak the language and many Spanish hospitals can no longer cope with the cost of providing translators for patients and require them to provide their own.
    The economy in Spain is in a worse state than ours and youth unemployment is high. My Spanish friend, in her fifties, had been a dental assistant for years and was made redundant a couple of years ago. She hasn't managed to get alternative work.

2. Her husband was a builder, they lived in a tiny village on top of a mountain. He did get bits of work but the village was full of very old people as all the young had left to try and find work.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

A friends daughter moved to the Canaries, there are quite a few jobs in banking.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Don't relocate anywhere you do not speak the language.
    It may seem obvious, but many people have struggled because "everyone speaks English" is a fallacy.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look at this book on Amazon. It's one where you can read extracts before buying. Read the reviews.
    [​IMG]
    This should set out some of the pitfalls - which are mainly the other people who have done the same thing as you. :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

[*]where they went to and where they left from?[*]Left from North West UK moved to Blue Mountains, AUS[*] [*]how much money they had to fund the relocation?[*]Last months wages, flights etc all went on CC (cost more than expected too!)[*] [*]did they find work in the new country, set up a business or retire there?[*]We moved as my OH had been offered work here. I'm currently in retail but looking for something more career related. (Moved in Oct 2011 so feel free to PM if I can answer an Q's)
    x

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thanks to all posters. Interesting tales and comments. It's all down to money and language isn't it.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Eeek, that would have given me the fear!
    I'm away to have a look at the book Theo suggested . . .amazon here I come

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Good point.

10. literarybimbo

literarybimbo New commenter

Hello. I did.
    I moved to Dubai 2 years ago.
    I got flights there (plus one return flight per year), shipping allowance and a retainer (few grand to stay for the 2 years). I also got a lovely apartment with shared pool. I shared with another teacher but there were options to have the place to myself for a small fee and then you can take the housing allowance and find your own place for the next year(s) (very swish places on the money you get). Everyone speaks English there lol. Lots of jobs and teachanywhere are a good agency.

Then, I moved to Brussels as I wanted to creep further back towards the UK for my imminent return ;) The job also gave me a relocation budget and I earn more than in the UK. I had to speak another language at interview and now work in a school where French is the main language of communication. I don't speak French so have to translate all emails etc and staff meetings are tough but I'm learning!

I want to come home soon as I've realised money and sun aren't everything but...not one single other person who I have met/ who has done it thinks the same as me! They are all dreading ever having to go back to the UK. A long distance relationship and an OH with a job that can't move abroad doesn't help like!

I have mates who have worked in Australia, NZ, Italy, Dominican Republic, Luxembourg, Switzerland amongst others so anything else I can help with let me know :)

LB

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er - I wasn't serious - it's ghastly!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You should also look at what you want from the other country. Many (if not all) of the British overseas clump together, do not learn the local language and spend all day and night moaning about their new country compared to Britain. Now if you would enjoy these people's company, fine - but if not, be very careful where you go. Some parts of Spain have been destroyed by moaning British and other Europeans settling and taking over areas, pushing up prices of property and ensuring the area looks as much like 'home' as possible.

13. Ugh. That's my idea of Hell.
    At least in the UK I can be picky about the company I keep...[​IMG]
    Lots of ex-pat communities (on the Costas at least) seem to be full of leathery and orange 30/40 somethings who would choose holidays at Butlins if they were still in the UK....and as for their penchant for 'British Pub' bars abroad, second rate cabaret and bingo...spare me. I love 'Benidorm', the programme but imagine living surrounded by such types 24/7 and 365 days a year? [​IMG]
    Being stuck with such types for neighbours and their sort of 'foreign culture' would be grim. I don't think the sun and warmer weather would compensate!

14. I could also offer more info if you want, although I don't know about the Canaries specifically.
    I think that getting a job offer before you go is the way forward.

15. literarybimbo

literarybimbo New commenter

What's the crack about this book then? I'm returning after a few years away from the forums and people keep mentioning it and there seems to be a controversy I'm missing? Help me out?
    LB

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

One of our local shopowners was well known for his rather right-wing views and was always complaining about Britain was going to the dogs with all the immigrants etc. He'd had a property in Spain for many years and last year he sold up his business and de-camped to Spain.
    I went in to buy Art materials in his closing down sale and he started on his favourite anti-immigrant rant again. I said, " when you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh?" and my meaning eluded him. I then pointed out that he was shortly going to be an immigrant in Spain and not all Spaniards would welcome him increasing the British ex-pat community there.
    Somehow, I don't think he can compute the concept of a white, Anglo-Saxon person ever being called an immigrant!

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

No I mean that all children do exactly the same thing at the same time. If you are too thick you repeat a year sometimes over and over again. If you are bright touch sh*t you will be bored. And yes the text was boring and uninspiring. They did very little if any art or other subjects too. Their french teachers were amazed how well behaved they were and asked if all UK kids were well behaved as all the ones they had taught were. French kids were so bored that bad behaviour was the norm. Years ago we were observed doing individual reading by a group of visiting french teachers. They were amazed because all childrenin france learnt the same text at the same time and didnt move on until everyone had got it. Sadly 20 years later nothing had changed.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you mean to say you were toying with me, like a mere plaything?
    [​IMG]
    Well I did read the reviews etc., and just assumed you had perversely low brow taste in 'literature'.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just a flying visit this morning, but thanks to all posters

20. You often repeat a year in Germany too. It is not because you are "thick" - it is often because you were lazy. Or because you really do need an extra year to absorb the material. It is not looked on as a negative thing.
    My experience of French schools (I taught in one for 3 months) and of those I know who went to one has always been positive - precisely because emphasis is put on everyone "getting" it. And behaviour was good too.
    I don't think schools are relevant for kibosh, however.